cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting abroad BT SIM card to new UK EE SIM card

owishon
Visitor

I'm currently in South America for the next 3 months, but I've been told my BT Mobile number (which I have with me) needs to be transferred to a new EE plan - I don't have a choice in this as BT Mobile are now defunct. This will start a new 24 month contract, which I want to avoid. I don't need access to my UK number while abroad here, so can I order a pay as you go EE SIM to my home address and have someone at home activate it, then request my PAC code and port my current BT number to the new EE SIM? Or will there be issues with my BT number being based abroad in the porting process?

1 REPLY 1
GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@owishon not sure, where You came to as "BT Mobile is now defunct"...

No, for the time being, both BT mobile and EE Mobile, same as BT Broadband and EE broadband coexistent...

Yes, You can voluntarily migrate from BT to EE with Broadband, or Mobile. But you don't need to...

If your contract period is now up, you will continue on a monthly rolling basis with your BT Mobile, till You decide as going to re-contract. At that moment, You will more likely need to transfer to EE.

Transfer from BT mobile to EE Mobile is required, as You will be sent out a new EE SIM with a temporary number, and then after this becomes live, your number will need to be ported from BT to EE (for myself, it was an automatic process).

There, most likely EE will refuse to send it out abroad, and will require UK address, presumably your billing/account address to be used.

Be aware, as with EE, different Roaming policies are in place, than are with BT. For example, EU roaming with BT Mobile is still free, but on EE is paid (daily charge, or add-on, or inclusive perk with some plans).

Most likely, You might be charged a little more for out-of-contract with BT Mobile, but at most cases, it will be still cheaper, than the new EE Mobile.

If you were told as you "MUST TO MIGRATE" it's most likely pressure from an operator, to get "sales points", not true...