cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link a new SIM to my EE online account

Valbrona
Investigator
Investigator

So I put a new pay as you go SIM card into my router and attempt to link it to my online EE account. When I try to link it however, I am asked to send a passcode that I need to confirm.

Presumbly the passcode is sent via a text message.

Only how do I read a text message if my SIM card is in a router and not a mobile phone?

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Strangely, linking my new PAYG SIM to My EE account became easy after someone asked me if I had registered my new SIM, and of course I hadn't.

Didn't even know you could register them since it allowed me to top-up and us it in its 'unregistered' state.

Thanks for your help folks. Sorted.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

That's OK. Most mobile routers can receive texts. Login to it and look for the SMS/Inbox section. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Valbrona
Investigator
Investigator

Oh, it is an EE router. Don't recall ever being provided with instructions on how to read text messages though.

Even EE routers! Does it have an envelope LED on it? 

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Well, after discovering how to read text messages on my router and several failed attempts at linking my new SIM to my online EE account I phoned EE for their help in sorting the issue.

The official answer being that 'you can only link one PAYG SIM to any one online account' (I already have one PAYG SIM linked) ... which I don't actually believe becasue that would be just crap from a large mobile phone provider, wouldn't it?

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Valbrona 

Could you try logging into your existing EE account online through a web browser not the app, and select Plans & Subscriptions then Manage Numbers, then Add another number and Link the mobile or SIM.

Does this work for you? 

Leanne.

I don't actually own a smart phone so the only way I can access My EE account is through a web browser.

I have recently linked the PAYG SIM card I have in my (dumb) mobile phone to My EE account without issue, so I know its not me.

Guess will have to make the rather inconvenient journey to an EE store.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Valbrona 

When logged into your EE account online as you have been, can you try selecting Plans & Subscriptions then Manage Numbers, then Add another number and Link the mobile or SIM, then enter the new EE number for the router, does this work? 

Leanne.

@Valbrona wrote:

The official answer being that 'you can only link one PAYG SIM to any one online account' (I already have one PAYG SIM linked)

Complete falsehood! I have numerous PAYG nos. linked to 1 EE a/c.

Strangely, linking my new PAYG SIM to My EE account became easy after someone asked me if I had registered my new SIM, and of course I hadn't.

Didn't even know you could register them since it allowed me to top-up and us it in its 'unregistered' state.

Thanks for your help folks. Sorted.