cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email scam: Payment failure message

Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

We've seen an increase in phishing emails pretending to be from EE. Here's some information to help keep you safe from these kinds of scams.

What does it look like?

It will look very much like the email has come from EE. It says that your latest payment has failed and asks you to click on a link to update and verify your billing details. There are variations to the message, as shown below, as scammers are always changing the content. The link itself goes to a fake EE Login page. 

These emails are 100% fake and are a ploy to get your bank details/account details. DO NOT click on any links in these emails. Remember to always login to your accounts directly and never through an unsolicited link that has been sent to you.

If you receive anything similar to this, or anything you think may be suspicious, make sure to forward the email to phishing@ee.co.uk and then delete it from your inbox. 

Here are some examples of the emails and the fake login screen. 

Email scam 1Email scam 1

Email scam 2Email scam 2

Fake login pageFake login page

Another example which has been reported to us looks very similar to these. Again it asks for card details to be entered into a fake page. The email is titled View bill - Error as shown in the first image below. The second image shows the fake page which is asking for card details. 

WM_Image-1.png.wm_.jpg

WM_Screenshot-2020-04-13-at-11-1.02.32.png.wm-2048x1513-1.jpg

As always, never enter your details into a page sent to you via an unsolicited email, text message or pop-up. 

For more information on Spam and phishing and how to report it, take a look at our main article here.

42 REPLIES 42
RNS29
Investigator
Investigator

Hi just received this message today but Google blocks it 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming here and letting us know @RNS29

If you can could you forward the email to phishing@ee.co.uk

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Thank you Leanne for your reply regards RNS29

Leanne_T

No problem @RNS29

tommysmithy
Visitor

Hi I just received one of these today

It was one of the most convincing in appearance of all the phishing scams I get by email

Hopefully it gets rooted out soon

Leanne_T

Hi @tommysmithy

Thanks for coming to the community and letting us know.

If you still have this email and you have not done this already, could you forward the email to phishing@ee.co.uk

For more information, please see the below articles.

Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it

Scams: Information about scams currently circulating

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Jamesy2
Investigator
Investigator

I received an email yesterday which is a carbon copy of one of your samples shown ! Glad I didn’t click on anything 

Leanne_T

Hi @Jamesy2

Thanks for coming here.

Glad to hear you never clicked on any links within the email, if you still have this can you forward this to phishing@ee.co.uk and we will get this looked into 🙂

You can see further examples of current phishing scams in Scams: Information about scams currently circulating.

Thanks.

Leanne.

andy_b_73
Visitor

I have just received one never have before  ,

I only joined EE a week ago so something doesn't seem right with your security.

Could your call staff be passing on details, I have Forwarded the email to phishing@ee.co.uk