cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go pack from abroad

Morrisbu5623
Visitor

Hi everyone, I'm going a bit insane here and would really like some help! I had a contract with EE which ended May 23. I have been out of the UK since then. Before the contract ended, I phoned up and asked for the sim to be changed over to pay as you go, so I could keep my number and top it up when back in the UK, while using local sims for data while abroad. The guy I spoke to said that would be fine and I just had to top it up via the website or app. I haven't had the sim in my phone since the end of May.  I'm now back in the EU and want to top it up as I'll be travelling back to the UK in a couple of weeks, driving through several EU countries, so having one sim with roaming charges will be easier than buying a new sim for every country I'll only be in for 1 or 2 days. I'm finding the EE website and app pretty impossible to navigate. I eventually found a link to top up my credit through this forum, but when I look at subscription packs they all imply that I'll be sent a new sim which isn't what I want! I finally worked out that my number is no longer linked to my account, but when I tried to link it, after getting the confirmation code, it said that I had to come into one of the EE stores with ID - which obviously isn't possible since I'm in Romania! Is there any way around this or am I stuck until I get back to the UK? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Your PAYG SIM has gone into hibernation after such a long time of non-use.

EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-chargeable use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

You needed to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from your pack.

You've actually been hit by 2 events; hibernation in conjunction with not using that PAYG SIM in UK before going abroad.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Morrisbu5623

Welcome to the community. 

Did the change from pay monthly to pay as you go happen whilst you were abroad?

When moving from pay monthly to pay as you go, we recommend using the pay as you go SIM in the UK to activate it before travelling abroad.

Katie

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Your PAYG SIM has gone into hibernation after such a long time of non-use.

EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-chargeable use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

You needed to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from your pack.

You've actually been hit by 2 events; hibernation in conjunction with not using that PAYG SIM in UK before going abroad.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)