cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t buy a pack with top up credit

Neziak
Investigator
Investigator

Is there a problem with the EE back end today?

I topped up my account with £30 credit and tried to buy the £30 / 100GB Pay as you Go pack. Both the website and the mobile app says that the purchase cannot be completed at the moment and I have not been charged. 

if so when will it be back up and running? If not, please help. 

15 REPLIES 15
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

By remembering when you last used it for a chargeable activity.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Honestly? How many people remember when the last "chargeable event" was? Maybe we can remember when the last pack ran out but chargeable event???

There is in excess of 30 minutes wait on the customer help line.

This whole thing is a massive scam and perhaps fraudulent. I wonder how many people have topped up and not had the stamina to pursue a refund.

I think this needs highlighting to OFCOM and perhaps and some articles to highlight this malpractice.

If others are in a similar situation speak up here and let's get letters to OFCOM. After all this is a community for the user.

@Katie_B It looks like this issue has been ongoing since at least 2019. I now see many posts of top ups being taken when SIMs have been suspended. There has been plenty of opportunity to resolve this by suspending the ability to top up at the same time as the SIM. You reached out to this customer below by private message for more information - please reach out to me. Your customer helpline is awful, my call was just dropped and I am back in the excess of 30 min queue.

Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 8.47.38 PM.png

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Ofcom are already fully aware of this practice by all mobile networks - Pay-as-you-go mobile: use it or lose it 

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX I have no issue with the number being recycled and the account suspended due to lack of use. I'm sure its in the Ts and Cs.

What I take issue with is for the carrier to continue to take money into a suspended, hibernated, cancelled account, knowing full well that credit cannot be used and that the customer has to go through a time consuming process to get the funds back. That just isn't right. Do you not agree?

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

I agree that it shouldn't allow top up & it's stupid that it does.