cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are some text messages blocked?

RAS
Contributor
Contributor

The community very kindly helped me recently with a PAYG problem on my husband's Samsung flip top phone (he's steam driven) but now we have another.  Basically he / we use the phone to receive OTP codes from his bank account.  Nothing is coming through.  He gets texts from me and his contacts without a problem.  The bank suggested that the network provider might be blocking texts from them.  Can anyone help please?  Thanks in anticipation.

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RAS

We'll do our best to help. 🙂

Have you recently transferred the number from another network?

Chris

No Chris, it's a brand new SIM.
RAS
Contributor
Contributor

Should say its a new number as well.

James_B

Hi @RAS,

When did you give your bank your new mobile number?

It may take a little time for their SMS gateway to update.

James

Ah, now here's the problem.  The bank is quite insistent that these things are updated online.  So we go into the account details, change the phone number and they send a code to the new number, which doesn't arrive!  When I had an online chat with the bank, they said it must be our network provider blocking the number.  So I guess at the moment the only alternative is to sit on the landline for hours waiting for them to answer so we can discuss in person.  I'll try that and if the codes still don't arrive then something is blocking the number.  Thanks for coming back to me.  I'll let you know how we get on!

James_B

No problem @RAS 

EE wouldn't block any genuine texts from your bank, so there must be another issue.

Please keep us updated.

James