cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold Free Tablet

Vlh1974
Investigator
Investigator

We have recently discovered that my Mum was given a FREE tablet when she upgraded her phone in 2018. 

We questioned was it actually free and told yes totally free. We have since found she has been paying for data every month. She did think her monthly bill was high, however never imagined she would be paying for a FREE item.

She has never taken the tablet out of the house, therefore never used any data so paying £12 per month for nothing. 

We contacted EE and after some discussions told she could get 6 months back, or go to the Ombudsmen. Absolutely furious with the lack of service. An sure the only do this as they think pensioners won't be able to do this and will settle for an offer that is downright patronising. 

We as am immediate family have 5 contracts with EE all of which we plan to change as soon as contracts run out. 

So much for being a valid customer!!!

11 REPLIES 11
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Vlh1974 

The tablet was probably free and EE are correct, however the taffif isn't free, hence the additional payment. It's a sales trick and not the first example if you search the forums. 

If it was taken out in 2018 can you not cancel it now? Was it taken out in store or online? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

It's just so annoying when you keep asking 'is it definitely free' as it sounds too good to be true (which it was) and they didn't mention a monthly tariff at all, otherwise we would have said no it. As as the end of the day if we'd have wanted a tablet we'd have already have bought one.

Just a scam and very annoyed and frustrated that we got taken in by this and EE have not been helpful at all despite being customers for over 20 years!!! 

suefb60
Contributor
Contributor

My son and I visited our Southampton EE store on Sunday 1st August.

We emerged, finally, from the store with what we had been led to believe was a good deal with a free tablet and upgraded phone.

It wasn't until I was checking the paper copy contracts the next day, that I read that we were being charged £11.70 extra on top of the package for the SIM in the tablet.It was in fact £13 , but had a reduction for muliple -line discount !!!

At no point during our discussions and  we stressed from the outset that the price of the package was the most important factor, was the charge for the tablet mentioned.Several times the advisor stressed the package amount. She stressed this again when I was signing the tablet / contract - I did not see an additional amount for the tablet when signing... Obviously you do not see the paper copy you have signed until you have signed it ! The tablet contract was stapled behind the phone contract...

We did not ask for a freebie and in fact the package is less data allowance than before.

The advisor came out with the tablet and sold it to us as the best package deal.

I finally got through to EE at 8am Wednesday 4th August , but was informed that any deals done in store had to be sorted out in-store.

We went back into Southampton store on Sunday 8th August when my son was back home. The advisor was most unhelpful and abrupt in his manner. When we explained our concerns, his response was : you have signed the contract, there is no cooling-off period on our contracts.His parting shot was that anyway he couldn't do anything - that was only the manager who could do anything. There was no manager present in the store , so we arranged another appointment for Monday 9th August. 

I saw ( accompanied by my husband ) an advisor then at 1pm on Monday 9th August who when I explained that I had made an appointment to see the manager said : that's me today ! He had no knowledge of my complaint so I had to start from scratch again explaining...

He basically just kept repeating - I can take back the tablet, but you will be paying the same amount as your essential package upgrade doesn't exist without the tablet ???

When I suggested cancelling the SIM amount , he said that he couldn't do anything as it was programmed in the till ...so much for being a manager ??

He did finally admit that perhaps it wasn't made as clear as it could have been ..but could do nothing about it ..I said that we would be taking this further.

After researching online, and getting advice from a family member who is in the fraud department of a bank , I am not only posting here, but will be writing to : CAB , Trading Standards and the Communication Ombudsman and also copying the same letter to EE Customer Services.... let's see what happens !

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @suefb60

I am very sorry to hear of your experience in store. 

I have sent you a private message on here for some extra details. 

Speak soon. 

Leanne.

Be very careful as I've tried all the below and not had a single penny back from EE.

We were offered approximately £60 back and told to contact the Ombudsman.

As we were over £200 out of pocket I went to the Ombudsman with all my evidence, including others online who had the same problem. It took months due to Covid (not sure why as all online) then just got told EE were closing the case as they weren't expecting responsibility and that was it. We couldn't go back and even get the £60.

EE are absolutely out of order and recently I was offered exactly the se offer again in-store so I know that they are still doing it to people. 

Be interested to see how you get on to see if we could revisit again.

Hi
At the moment having been contacted by EE after my post … I spoke with somebody and after lengthy discussion he agreed to us returning the tablet and charging us the original amount we had been led to believe
I have returned the tablet in a Pre paid envelope and am waiting for them to contact me to arrange the details and refund me the additional costs
I will revert and close this post once this has been concluded … with my final comments on the matter …

Sent from my iPhone
lucindagranton
Explorer

I’ve just realised this has happened to me, too. I am furious. I cannot believe they’re able to miss-sell in that way! I went into store, which I’ve since been told by an EE employee over the phone you should avoid, because there’s no trace of what’s miss-sold in store!!! Horrendous! I’ll never return to EE

The same thing has happened to me, and I’m furious! 

I said yes to the “free” tablet, because why not. I’ve switched in on twice.. it’s an unbranded, cheap piece of absolute junk, so it’s been sat in my store since. 

I would never recommend EE to anyone! 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lucindagranton 

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened. 

When did you get the tablet contract? 

Have you been back to the store to get this looked into? 

Leanne.