cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone box looks like it's been run over!

sbb188
Investigator
Investigator

So here goes the fun,

So I did an anytime upgrade yesterday to a iPhone 13 Pro Max 512GB. Was told categorically that they were not in stock so a two week wait. That's fine, stock levels are never easy to work around. 

Imagine my shock when my new phone arrived today. I was very happy, but this is where it falls apart. The bag was a little scuffed and a few little holes here and there, opened it to find two issues. 

Firstly, the box looks like it's been thrown down a flight of stairs. Every corner is bashed in, not lightly knocked, bashed in. I know boxes are to protect the device but the level of shock this must have received worries me. 

Second, the Apple seals are missing. Torn off the box, replaced with black security seals (no doubt done before dispatch). 

Now, I can't fathom a reason why you would unseal a brand new box from the manufacturer before dispatch, apparently done for QC reasons based on some of the threads I've read. Some consider that this could be a 'Good as new' device, however EE stated that cannot happen without it being specifically ordered. Either way, damage aside, I'm not happy. You wouldn't let someone cut the bag open for your new mattress and sleep in your new bed for QC reasons, why is an expensive piece of tech okay? 

I didn't open the box, leaving it sealed. Rang EE and spoke to 3 different departments, three very different responses. 

First person was incredulous and dismissive, telling me that unless I break the seals to check the device, I don't know if it's damaged, so what's the problem? Told me I needed to speak to a team who were closed and to call back on Monday, but I'll have to return via the 14 day returns policy, cancel my upgrade, wait for them to sort my bill and then they will let me upgrade again. 

Second person, more sympathetic but said I'd have to send it back, wait for them to receive, inspect and test before they send me a new phone. They then said it's possible to send a delivery with DPD who take the old one and hand over the new one to me, but this is not her decision to make and it's unlikely to be allowed. 

Third one made clear that broken seals are not okay on a £1600 phone and that's without taking account of the potential damage. He then called the department that was apparently closed to the first department, but the wait time was over a hour so he suggested I call back again tomorrow or Monday. 

Now, I don't know who I'm supposed to be calling. I've been told tech support, channel returns and general customer services. 

So I would like to ask your advice. Should I...

A) break the seals, open it and even if it's working, not know if some unseen damage has occured and put up with it. 

B) request replacement with a brand new factory sealed device.

C) cancel the whole thing, go into store and actually get the box in my hands so I can check it before I agree to sign the upgrade. 

Thanks all. 

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@sbb188 If you don’t want it by the state of the box just call customer services and tell them that.  You don’t have to open the box at all so don’t.   You can request this to be returned tomorrow.   

Hi Chris, 

It's not so much the state of the box, it's the fact it looks like it's been used to hammer girders into place, I'm more worried that problems could occur later from that degree of rough handling. That and the fact that it's been opened and resealed which is a minor irritation compared to the state of the packaging. 

@sbb188  everything you’re saying sounds like you’re not prepared to accept this device and that’s just by looking at the state of the box , if you don’t want to accept it you need to call customer services.   It’s probably why you’ve managed to get this device as other customers have probably returned it due to the state of the box and are not prepared to accept it so that device is being passed around from customer to customer to see if somebody is prepared to accept it.  It’s a brand-new device but the state of the box is not convincing customers to have that device.  ( this is at best a guess)  

@Chris_B That's a very good point. When packaging is scuffed up, it's not the end of the world, it's just a transport box after all, but when it's significantly damaged it can make you a little nervous. 

Update:

Checked the screen protector supplied (as I took damage cover) that was in the same dispatch bag, it's smashed to bits, so says a lot about how it's been handled. 

Spent over 4 hours on the phone to EE today, first person told me they could absolutely swap the phone and screen protector, no problem. Put through to the correct team who cut me off as soon as the answered. 

Rang again, on hold for 40 mins. Then cut off. 

Rang again and the very nice lady called another team, they spoke to logistics who said they won't allow an exchange unless the phone is defective. They also REFUSED to tell their colleagues why the device had been opened before dispatch. Back on hold for 30 mins. 

Next person, told to await another call from a team leader in the morning.

If not it's going back as a DSR return and I'll just go get one from store. Least then I can see it for myself before hand. 

@sbb188  You’ll need to call customer services to inform them you don’t want it also inform them why and make sure they put a note on your account about this. 

A returns package will be sent to you.    Take photos of all of it as you want proof of why your returning it.   I would also put a note in the returns stating why, photo this also.     Once the device has been processed as a return your account will change back to an upgrade state then you’ll be able to upgrade again.