cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam emails and texts pretending to be from DPD, DHL or Royal Mail

Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

Hello everyone,

With this being a busy time for orders and deliveries, we wanted you to be aware of some scam emails and text messages doing the rounds purporting to be from DPD or Royal Mail about a delivery.

They advise that they require further information from you to complete the delivery of a parcel, or similar wording and request that you follow a link.

Always make sure that you check the full email address that has sent any emails to you, not just the name it displays as being from. When you check the email address it will often show a random personal email address and not an official one from the company it is pretending to be from. 

If you are unsure about any email or text that you get, do not click any links they contain, you can check any upcoming deliveries you may have with DPD directly via their app or website.

Here is an example of one of the emails.

DPDscam.jpg

Here is an example of one pretending to be Royal Mail

RM scam.png

There have also been examples pretending to be from DHL, here is an example of one of the text messages received. 

ScamtweetEE (002).jpg

Read more about these scams and the legitimate ways DPD will contact you on their site >

Find out more about spam and phishing, how to stay safe and report it >

8 REPLIES 8
354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The first hyperlink on this post does not seem to work?

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @354-

Thanks so much for flagging this with us. 

I have fixed the link now, 

Katie 🙂

I had a text saying my Parcil still needs collecting in my Locke town when I clicked it took me to messages from Amazon saying I’m chosen to test new phone when I carried on with this I stoped when it wanted me to click a link for dad as I’d not herd of them before

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Snookoms

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I believe you have done the right thing by not clicking on the link and going any further with this text if you are not expecting a parcel for a new phone. 

Katie.

Is there a way to just get EE to block all of these texts? Or some way to do it on an iPhone? They keep coming from different numbers with the same message. I can block numbers but I don’t know how to block a text if it exactly matches a certain bit of text.

Hi @Tangler

Welcome to the community.

I hope you're well and having a nice Friday.

This is a tricky one, as just blocking the number doesn't always stop texts just like you said.

If you have a look at our How To Avoid and Prevent Scams Including Phishing, VIshing and Smishing page, you'll find a lot of information on steps you can take.

Thanks

Chris 

@Tangler : Get the scammers to use email instead of SMS. Then you can filter them by contents in your email client 😉 .

Anybody want to volunteer to write a Messaging app with filter rules like email clients have?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Tangler  Go to Settings>Messages>Unknown & Spam and turn it on. All unknown senders messages go to a separate inbox for text messages.    This will effect all numbers that you don’t have in your phone book that could send you a text message.   

EE can not stop someone from texting you as they don’t know it’s a spam message.    All you can do is report it by forwarding the message to 7726 and then the number.  This will be investigated and then the number will be blocked but unfortunately they will just use another number and the cycle will start again until that number is reported and blocked.