Roaming in EU not explained well

DevF
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

I have the following add-ons, but it's very misleading:

£2.29 per day for EU roaming   -   Variable   -   This add-on cannot be removed

Roam in EU   -    Free

If the roam in EU is reported as free, why it does ask me to pay if I select any EU country in the website?

This is really bad advertisement...

So, am I supposed to take the roam free add-on (or roaming pass) as everyone else?

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The former,  £2.29 per day for EU roaming, is a billing add-on that charges you each day you use any of your UK allowances in the EU. 

The latter, Roam in EU, is a permission to allow you to roam in the EU in the 1st place.

Unless you have the latter the former does not come into play & you can't be charged but you won't be able to roam.

The £25 pm Roam Abroad Pass is an alternative option to the former. You would still need the latter to be able to roam.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks, that helps, but it's not clear at all for users, plus, if there is no roam option, what happens? I don't get signal at all?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Put the billing add-ons to the side, and your phone needs permissions to connect to foreign networks.

If your phone has no EE coverage (by virtue of being abroad) and no permission to use foreign networks, you will get no coverage. That has obvious consequences for your phone's ability to use certain services - making & receiving calls, sending & receiving texts, and using mobile data.

Yes, if you have no Roam permission option, be it for EU or worldwide, you receive no signal from the overseas networks where you are & therefore cannot roam at all.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

If I'm already outside UK and forgot to enable it, how can I do it from EE if I have no way to connect or even send an SMS??

(only on a public wifi I think)

Every phone has the chance to unlock roaming, but in this case, it's an option from the EE account...

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Your best opportunity is to use a public WiFi-connection to use a web-calling app such as Skype - to then call EE CS on +44 800 0798586