cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE ruined my credit score

Vasilis_M
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
I had been an EE mobile and broadband customer for more than ten years. 
Last year (May 2018) I changed the phone provider and closed my mobile account.
I removed my Direct Debit from my EE mobile account for safety reasons. However, I continued being on EE broadband.

Months later I found out that there was a default in my credit rating because of an £18 unpaid EE mobile bill. When I closed my account I believed I had paid everything off. Unfortunately, I didn't receive any communication from them either by email or phone regarding this issue. I paid the bill as soon as I found out and I also closed my broadband account around the same time (March 2019).

I contacted EE and they refused to remove the default. 
This stigmatizing practice is infuriating and unethical, especially when it is used against unsuspected and loyal customers. My credit rating has plummeted (and the default will remain for six years) and it is impossible for me to get a mortgage now, because of an £18 bill which I was unaware of.

What would be the best way to deal with it?
103 REPLIES 103
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

The best way to deal with it is now top late.

You should.never cancel the DD until everything is paid off.

Depending when you cancel it depends if you owe anything or of they owe you.

There is nothing that can be done now. The default is genuine. And cant be removed.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Vasilis_M

Thanks for posting on the community.

I am sorry to hear this has happened.

There are 4 ways to query this, and we will be able to get this looked into for you;

1. Via Chat 

Click on this link between 9-5, Monday to Friday: http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/understanding-credit-files

2. Via email to us

Orange, T-Mobile and EE – crqueries@ee.co.uk

3. Via a credit reference agency

Experian – experian.co.uk

Call Credit – callcredit.co.uk

4. Send a letter to our credit referrals team

Credit Referrals Team

EE

6 Camberwell Way

Doxford Park

Sunderland

SR3 3XN

Please ensure you provide all of the following details in order for us to review your query:

• Your full name
  • Your address including postcode
  • A contact telephone number
  • As much detail around your query as possible

We will aim to respond to queries via email within 48 hours but queries by post may take a little longer.

Let me know how you get on.

Leanne.

aliciachapman
Visitor

Hi,

I'm wondering if you were able to resolve this? I am in exactly the same situation; trying to buy a house only to find out my credit score has plummeted due to a £14 EE bill I didn't realise I had!

I'm really hoping you were able to sort this?

Thanks for any help!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @aliciachapman

Thanks for coming to the community.

Have you spoken to our Mobile Care team and had your account looked into?

Speak soon.

Leanne.

Vasilis_M
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hello,

Unfortunately, they wouldn't be helpful at all. It is just so unfair that your life is so negatively impacted for an £18 or a £14 unpaid bill, that you weren't even aware of. And especially when you have been a loyal customer for years on end. 

The good thing is that last month (a bit less than 2 years after) the default was removed from my Credit Score. 

I hope it all goes well with you. 

Vasilis_M
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Dear Brendon,

FYI I closed the account after I paid my last bill. It was an extra charge that came after. 

Next time try to be (more) helpful.

If you closed the account after the last bill you had 30 days of usage still. You could have run up extra charges which goes on your next billing date.

By this message that exactly what happened.

You shouldn't have cancelled the DD until you received your final bill which EE would have sent you/uploaded to MyEE

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Vasilis_M
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If I had asked 'What I should have done to avoid this', your answers would have been helpful. Thanks.

Annoyed12
Explorer

Hi Do you know how long EE took to remove the default from your credit score? A similar thing has happened to us -  EE ruined our chances of extension and remortgaging in 2013 when they did not even attempt to contact my wife about a £14final charge when she left EE. 

Did EE ever try to contact you about your debt? I think we're on very good ground to successfully sue them for not attempting to notify us of the debt