cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account ownership change.

Joeflynn0
Visitor

I understand its a long shot but a few months ago my partner and I split. I took out a phone contract for her in august due to bad credit but she was paying it off and now has the direct debit in her name but i still have the account ownership. I have tried asking to meet and asking for the phone back (even with me offering money to return it) but we are not in contact anymore as it ended on bad terms. Is there any way for me to give up ownership of it as any missed payments etc. affect my credit score? 

Thanks in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
garetc
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Unfortunately as the line is in your name you’re responsible for the payments.

You can do a transfer of ownership but you and your ex need to be on the line so they can get credit checked, there is no guarantee that they’ll pass it though.

Maybe try and reach out to them to say you want your property back unless they‘re willing to do the transfer. If you get no reply or they say no, contact EE customer services on 150 and get them to put a stop on the line to stop your ex from running up a big bill and taking advantage of you. I wouldn’t leave it too long or would set a time limit to say if you don’t get back to me within 2 hours I will bar the line.

You might consider reporting it to the police as they’ve essentially stolen your property, if you’re able to recover it EE can remove the bar at a later date.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Joeflynn0 

Just to add a bit to this great piece of advice. The other person doesn't need to actually be on the phone with you. You can call 150 and give them permission to take over the phone line and set a separate, temporary password for them to call themself and quote. They can then go through the rest of the change of ownership process from there.

Chris