Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail Charges Whilst Abroad

jodonoghue
Investigator
Investigator

Morning all,
I am travelling to Turkey very soon and have added a Travel Data Pass.
I'm still concerned over voicemails though. It is very likely that I will continue to receive calls whilst I'm away, although I don't intend on listening to the voicemails.
If I turn my voicemails off, will I get charged when people attempt to call me?
Can I still have a greeting stating that I am away and can not take voicemails, if I turn my voicemails off? If so, how do I set that up?

All help appreciated as the guidance on the website gives mixed messages.

17 REPLIES 17

@Alex_M wrote:

Hi @jodonoghue,

You will never be charged for receiving calls, so it is fine to leave VM on - there are not any additional charges for receiving calls or voicemails while abroad.

Wrong when outside EU! The Roaming Costs page for Turkey posted later in this thread is correct in all its aspects & confirms this.

@jodonoghue : Turn off VM before you leave UK if you don't want to be charged for peeps leaving you VMs while in Turkey.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Alex_M : VM has nowt to do with 4G or any other G. It's just a voice call.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks so much Theo. I'll do this.
Appreciate your help,
J

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Furthermore, my understanding is that missed calls should not be charged for regardless of country.

Charges should only be incurred when an incoming call connects to your phone as answered.

Hi James!

Just wondering if you were able to confirm with the voicemail team on this? 

Specifically: when roaming will we be charged when we do not answer the call but the caller connects to listen to the voicemail greeting?

Many thanks!
Jamie

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jamie215,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you setup a temporary greeting or just the standard voicemail service?

James

jamie215
Explorer

Thanks, @James_B!. Just the standard voicemail service.  I'm off to Thailand and want to ensure unanswered calls going to voicemail wont cost me anything!  Appreciate your help 🙂 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jamie215,

Yes, you'll be charged when someone leaves you a voicemail. To avoid this, text VM DIVERT OFF to 150 to turn off your voicemail while travelling.

James