cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voicemail activated but not working

Emdecy
Explorer

I've just switched to EE and was excited to enable visual voicemail but it's not going well. I'm on an iPhone 13 mini running iOS 16.5, so I'm up to date.

First I activated it and when I tapped the tab on the phone app, it told me I needed to set it up. When entering a pin and pressing save it would load forever then error with  “Voicemail Error: Try again later”. 

I tried de-activating and re-activating visual voicemail a few times but it made no difference.

Spoke to live chat and they did various tests and eventually told me to reset my network settings. This got me past the setup screen and I thought all was well and that it would now work, but I was wrong. If someone calls me and leaves a message, nothing shows. If I go in to greetings. it sticks on "Retrieving greeting..." for about 30 seconds then stops. If I try to record and save a custom greeting I get "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.mobilephone error 1035.). Internet searches suggest this means visual voicemail is not set up correctly.

I'm running out of things to try. I must have rebooted my phone 50 times in the past 48 hours trying to get it to work.

We've enabled the exact same service on my partner's phone today and it instantly works with no issues.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can fix this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emdecy
Explorer

Figured this one out and posting it here so that someone in the future might discover it and fix their issue.

A while back I had enabled DNS over HTTPS on my phone. In particular I had enabled Cloudflare DNS over HTTPS using a profile on iOS. Disabling this profile immediately made visual voicemail work.

It seems that visual voicemail somehow relies on intercepting unencrypted DNS requests (I suspect it redirects a request to a particular server).

So if you're seeing "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.mobilephone error 1035.)" or something along the lines of "Voicemail Error. Please try again later". This might be your issue.

Edit: For the technical minded, I've discovered you need to exclude vvm.ee.co.uk from the DNS profile so it can make insecure DNS requests. This solves the issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Emdecy
Explorer

Figured this one out and posting it here so that someone in the future might discover it and fix their issue.

A while back I had enabled DNS over HTTPS on my phone. In particular I had enabled Cloudflare DNS over HTTPS using a profile on iOS. Disabling this profile immediately made visual voicemail work.

It seems that visual voicemail somehow relies on intercepting unencrypted DNS requests (I suspect it redirects a request to a particular server).

So if you're seeing "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.mobilephone error 1035.)" or something along the lines of "Voicemail Error. Please try again later". This might be your issue.

Edit: For the technical minded, I've discovered you need to exclude vvm.ee.co.uk from the DNS profile so it can make insecure DNS requests. This solves the issue.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for sharing @Emdecy 🙂

James