USA

ConnorChas123
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. I’ve just arrived in the USA but have no network so  can’t send texts or make calls. I’ve not had this issue before. Do I need to enable something?

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Using your phone abroad is called roaming, and to connect to foreign networks, roaming needs to be enabled.

If you're on PAYG, roaming is auto-enabled once your phone is used on EE's UK network first.

Pay-monthly phones need it enabling, which is normally done by texting ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK.

Without this enabling, a phone won't connect to foreign networks and thus be unable to use functions which are network-based - making & receiving calls, sending & receiving text messages, and using mobile data.

Which are you?

Thanks for your reply. I purchased a USA data roam

I’m on a pay monthly contract & bought a roaming pass before leaving the UK. I can connect to the internet but can’t make calls or texts. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Did you receive a welcome text message on arrival in the USA? A roaming pass is just a billing add-on to reduce the cost of roaming - having the roaming facility enabled is what allows access to foreign networks. The welcome text message is an additional verification that this is inplace.

The additional check is whether you have a spend-cap active - https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/manage-use/pay-monthly/set-up-and-manage-spend-cap