Roaming

Robury
Visitor

Hi, I have just paid £10 to use roaming in Australia. Just arrived in Australia and received a text from EE saying that all calls to countries outside the EU will be £1.35 a minute. I thought that calls to an Australian phone number would be included in my package not charged at £1.35 a minute. This is very misleading. Can anyone explain how this roaming works? 

5 REPLIES 5
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Robury

Welcome to the community.

If you have the Roam Abroad pass your calls, texts and data (up to 50GB) when roaming in Australia. This includes calls to Australian numbers. If you were to call a Non-EU country from Australia, it would be charged at those rates.

I would suggest double checking your add-ons/smart benefits in your My EE account, just to make sure it's active.

Chris

BHB2
Investigator
Investigator

I would get a Lebara sim and just use your UK number in What's App - so much messing around trying to get a phone to work in a different country.   I have had the opposite problem to you - Australia to UK and I have to call up every few weeks for things that are unclear or don't work properly which is actually ridiculous in this day and age 

Hi there

not sure I understand your message. Are you saying all text, calls within Australia and data up to 50GB are included in a Roam abroad pass? What do you mean calls outside the EU?  Thanks 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Calls to standard mobiles and landlines are included with the Roam abroad pass, yes, @Skyeblue. As well as your plan's data, up to 50GB.

I mean, if you were to call another Non-EU country from Australia, it would be chargeable. For example, Australia to China, or Australia to New Zealand etc.

Chris

@BHB2 wrote:

I would get a Lebara sim and just use your UK number in What's App - so much messing around trying to get a phone to work in a different country

The "messing around" is simply making sure that international roaming is enabled on your EE account.

WhatsApp won't work for calls to & from landlines, and requires both parties of the call to be using the app. Standard dialled voice calls have neither of these restrictions.