cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming not working in USA nor am I able to make WiFi calls - advice please

Jb2858
Investigator
Investigator

I’m travelling in the USA and have a roaming package but it’s not working. ( I have used this package without problems in Europe.)
I cannot make WiFi calls either so unable to contact EE. 
I have reset the phone several times, tried manual network selection but to no avail. 
The EE chat just shuts me down and tells me to ring EE but I can’t make calls! 
Advice anyone? 

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jb2858 : WiFi Calls are not guaranteed to work outside UK but if they do work they are still roaming calls.

Are you on contract or PAYG? Had you used that SIM for making calls or texts in UK before you left to go abroad?

If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? It's possible you only had EU roaming activated but not worldwide. Having a roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c. Having roaming activated on your EE a/c, not just on your device, is crucial to using your contract SIM abroad.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto. Otherwise you need to call CS to get your roaming activated. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@Jb2858 wrote:

I’m travelling in the USA and have a roaming package but it’s not working.

In what way is your "roaming package... not working"? I ask because this is a popular misconception.

Most people use the phrase "roaming package" to refer to what are billing add-ons, whose sole purpose is to reduce the cost of roaming. I suspect you're reporting that your phone isn't connecting to any US networks, which has nothing to do with billing add-ons and everything to do with (free of charge) roaming permissions not being enabled.

If you've connected to EU-based networks previously, you likely have EU-only roaming enabled and now require full global roaming. This unlocks access to all foreign operators, allowing your phone to obtain coverage, and thus incur charges which are reduced by your "roaming package".

If you now find yourself abroad (effectively) without having enabled roaming, your only recourse will be to contact CS to request it activated. You can either contact +44 7953 966150 from another working phone, or +44 800 0798586 using a web-calling app such as Skype over WiFi.

Thanks for your help. I’ve spoken to CS via Skype and they have sorted it out

Thanks for replying. EE have now resolved the problem 

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)