cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Sri Lanka

EmmaPunchard
Explorer

Hello, 

I am off to Sri Lanka and want to use my phone only when on Wi-Fi.  I run a business and will need to pick up some WIFI messages via WIFI

After some research, I decided to turn off VM but I want to leave a message on the VM saying I am away contact me via email etc.  

So I re-enabled voicemail and left an I am away message which is fine but at the end  EE tells people to text me. Which I dont' want. 

So I want to know - what should I do with VM and how can I avoid roaming charges (I have a spending cap) 

Any advice I tried to call EE but can't get through. 

Many thanks Emma 

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, say in your away msg "Email, don't text". However receiving texts is free worldwide.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
EmmaPunchard
Explorer

So if I leave my VM on but opt for no messages anyone calling me will get that and I won't get charged? 

Seeing as you are helpful what do I need to do to my phone to avoid roaming (turn off wifi calling and data roaming) Many thanks 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Not sure what you mean by WiFi-messages, but SMS text messages need a mobile network connection to work, whereas app-based messages (WhatsApp, Messenger etc) use any internet-connection.

I'm not sure where the reference to text messages comes from on the voicemail greeting, that's not something I've ever experienced.

The simple way to avoid roaming charges is to not allow your phone to make any mobile network connection outside the UK. Either disable roaming on your account, or enable flight mode and then toggle WiFi as required. The latter will give you the option to roam onto a mobile network should you need it, the former will prevent that completely.