Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random mobiles claiming I have called them

Sarah2083
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’ve had lots

of calls today from various mobile numbers claiming I have miss called them - which I haven’t! I’ve checked call history too and shows no calls made by me.

I know others have had this too, but EE Haven’t been helpful with what to do to solve this issue. I’m concerned my personal data has been compromised by them if it is a network error as i was told.

I don’t want to change my number if I can help it.

any ideas on how to stop this and on what’s actually caused this? 

74 REPLIES 74
Thirlaz
Visitor

I too have had this issue in the last two weeks. Random people calling me back telling me they missed a call from me. 
We’ve also had texts off friends/family replying to a text we never sent. 

What on Earth is going on?

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Thirlaz.

Welcome to the community.

If you get in touch with our Customer Care team, they will be able to take a look a this issue and help you further.

They will have access to your account to be able to give you the best advice.

Jon

So in the last 30 hours I've had this. Well over 400, yes 400 calls from people saying they have missed calls from me. Some very abusive whis is very distressing, for me and others who appear to be elderly and are very confused.

This is having a very negative effect of my business too as my number is linked to my business and a google search can find this link and I am starting to receive negative messages on social media platforms. EE this is not good enough. It is your responsibility to make sure the CLI is valid.

My voicemail is full with over 100 messages all of which I have to listen to as I have already missed legitimate business inquiries.

I've been forced to put an apology message on my voicemail explaining what's happening which frankly make me and my business look very amateur.

This needs to be sorted, its not good enough, and changing my number of 20 years is not good enough.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Asm123.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care team so they can look into this issue further for you and raise an investigation ticket.

Jon

Same thing happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks. People ring me and say they had a missed call from me. I used the link advice above to report to EE over chat, but they basically could do nothing but suggest i report the numbers that called me or texted me "to the app" - so basically report and/or block innocent people who recieved fraudsters calls using my mobile number... Not very cleaver and EE staff member kept saying there was nothing he could do.

EE - the first item on the notebook you give to your staff should be how to raise an internal ticket when clients report suspicious or potential illegal activity. 

We've been with EE for a decade or so, really pleased with EE service, but on this occasion EE gets a big fat FAIL! made us feel unvalued at all as customers, and probably failing at a very important point. Oh the staff member did find a script to copy/paste that says "rest assure, none of your data was compromise" - I wonder how this fits with the rest of his claim that he could do nothing, see nothing, or have access to anything in order to try and help - clearly just copied/pasted some script that had no connection to reality or any basis behind it.

EE Staff on the chat - spare me the "please contact us via this link" - i already did and EE did nothing about it. Either get your security team to contact me and check the chat history on my account for details of what happened and when - anything else will be just you digging a deeper hole for yourselves.

Anyone else here can recommend a mobile company that takes data protection seriously? We are looking for one!

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @RVR78.

I'd recommend having a look at our Call Spoofing Support Article for more information on this.

We would not recommend calling or texting these numbers back.

Jon

I have been experiencing this issue over the last month  - yesterday I had 2 contacts from people saying they had had a missed call from me and asking me who I was. It is very disconcerting. 

I spoke to someone in EE about it last week as I was concerned that my number had been hijacked/cloned and all they could say was that they were likely scam calls - but it seems strange that this has only just started happening but is now happening in earnest, several times a week. 

At the very least, its extremely irritating but at worst, extremely worrying. 

I can't not answer the calls incase its one of my children trying to contact me on a friends phone in the event of their own mobiles having run out of battery etc.. I am very careful not to give any information if I end up speaking to them but I also worry that my kids/older family members might experience the similar calls and not be so guarded. 

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
I was also given the same advice. It's concerning EE don't really seem to be doing anything about it! I was told my number has been cloned so people can cold call.

I don't know what to do moving forward 
katashaha
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had this problem over the past months!  My phone does not show caller ID so it's obviously spoofing.  I have had the same number for over 20 years and this has happened only when I moved to EE (I was previously with other providers).  Not sure why - perhaps its easier to spoof numbers from this network?

Burdis_420
Explorer

I've had this the last few days anyone know why seems to be alot off ee customers