Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random mobiles claiming I have called them

Sarah2083
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’ve had lots

of calls today from various mobile numbers claiming I have miss called them - which I haven’t! I’ve checked call history too and shows no calls made by me.

I know others have had this too, but EE Haven’t been helpful with what to do to solve this issue. I’m concerned my personal data has been compromised by them if it is a network error as i was told.

I don’t want to change my number if I can help it.

any ideas on how to stop this and on what’s actually caused this? 

74 REPLIES 74
wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

For goodness sake no it isn't just EE.  I have friends & family on other networks who are getting these calls.

I did not say it's just ee customers just saying there a lot off we customers this is happening to and no one know how or why this is happening and is off soon as you Google the problem we is up first love the company always help but this is odd 

Sueann1
Investigator
Investigator

Like most of the messages ive read just now, I too am getting the same, they're ringing me back saying they've a missed call from them, very annoying as I didn't make any calls to those numbers 

N_1
Explorer

Hi, I was looking this up on the internet because I had this happen for the past few days, I tried blocking them, reporting them and contacting EE. You have been a victim of something called phone spoofing, it's where they try to scam you, you shouldn't answer their calls or texts and just block them, alternatively you can change your number or get a new SIM card. Sorry I couldn't b

Thankyou, ive stopped answering the random calls, plus I've now started blocking them 

This is what can happen. I received a phishing call to my landline saying my broadband was faulty - I asked the guy if they were monitoring my computer and suggested this might be illegal - expletive followed and then he hung up - within 30 seconds I started to receive non-stop calls from people claiming I had just rung them. Vindictively they had entered my landline number (can also be done with mobiles) into an automatic dialler. If people press a recall button it goes through to the scammer and they probably receive an automated message or similar back, but if they type in the phone number they think has called them they get through to my land line - hence the continuous calls. This is apparently very easy for these call centres to do - 30 seconds in my experience!

The only solution was take disconnect landline until my number could be changed.

Some additional research indicates that phone companies could act to solve this but are reluctant to do so because of the cost involved - sounds familiar!

LIZ3113
Visitor

I've had exactly this issue today too - 6 calls within the past hour from people saying that they've had a missed call from me. My phone is currently receiving diverted calls from our business so was thinking it was maybe something to do with that but having read this thread I now think it's my mobile number that has been compromised.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @LIZ3113,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you have been a victim of call spoofing. Please see this article for further information.

James

I have been getting calls all day stating I have miss called them. I am worries that my personal data might be compromised call someone look into this as a matter of urgency please. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mizan1985

The call spoofing article that's posted above explains what has likely happened here. Scammers mimic a number so that people are more likely to answer and unsuspectingly give their information out.

However, if they have mimicked your number, it doesn't mean they have access to your information.

If you're worried at all, I'd recommend speaking to our Mobile Care team.

Chris