cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data abroad throttled back?

GV3
Investigator
Investigator

I’ve been in Spain for 5 days with Mobile data and calling working perfectly. However, despite a strong 4G connection, every attempt to log on to apps is timing out. I have plenty of data, I’ve tried rebooting and I’ve tried selecting networks manually. I’m beginning to think my mobile data is being throttled back as the issue is the same across networks. I only switched to EE just last month and am starting to worry that I made a mistake. Any ideas?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes - all sorted now, Technical Support were great and this was all down to a spend cap issue and the daily charge for roaming. Wouldn’t normally have set a spend cap but I have my young son’s phone on the same account so it seemed prudent when I joined EE last month. 

Thanks for the suggestion - delighted to find it was something so simple - and of my own making!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

Hello @GV3 ,

Welcome to the community,

EE do not throttle data, just because you are abroad. Are you paying for an add-on, as data is not free to use in the EU? You can always use free wifi when available.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m paying for mobile data while abroad - everything has been working well for the past 5 days until today.

You’re right of course that I can use free WiFi…given what is happening, the only way I am able to access this community site is via free WiFi. However, that is not always possible while travelling, which is exactly when I need my phone service provider to be reliable. 

@GV3 , that is not down to EE, as they have no control how the network is in another country. Have you tried doing a manual search to see if there is a better network to connect to? There are many factors that could cause problems, depending on how the network is whilst travelling.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Yes, I’ve tried connecting to other Mobile networks with the same issue unfortunately.

I now realise that EE is unable to assist while I’m abroad given that you’re partnering with overseas networks.

This is obviously an important consideration for those UK consumers who need reliable overseas data coverage when choosing a provider.

Thank you for your attempt to help.

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

How much Roaming Data have you used when it was working, have you exceeded the Data Roaming Fair Use Policy per chance.

3GB used so I don’t think so. 

@GV3   Have you just tried turning the device off/on again.  

Yes - all sorted now, Technical Support were great and this was all down to a spend cap issue and the daily charge for roaming. Wouldn’t normally have set a spend cap but I have my young son’s phone on the same account so it seemed prudent when I joined EE last month. 

Thanks for the suggestion - delighted to find it was something so simple - and of my own making!

@GV3 , thank you for getting back to us, glad you got it sorted, enjoy the rest of your time abroad, glad we were able to help.