cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues receiving Text messages into School App

NJAMM
Investigator
Investigator

Wondering if anyone can help me with a problem that has recently occurred...

My child's school sends messages via text to the app MCAS - it had been working fine for a couple of months, and the previous app they used also worked with no issue but it has suddenly stopped being able to receive the texts to my phone from the school. 

I'm guessing somehow either the phone or EE are blocking the numbers the school uses to send the messages via this app.  I have removed all the personally blocked numbers on my phone (Sony 5ii) from cold callers etc, have reinstalled the app, and had the school delete and recreate a new account for me but because it's specific to my phone number I can't seem to get past this issue.

I've checked the blocked numbers settings and everything is turned off so nothing is blocked via the phone as far as I can tell (also it's a brand new phone so I'm having this issue with 2 phones) - I'm almost certain it's specific to my mobile number or the network.

I'm pulling my hair so any ideas are really appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

EE don't block senders sending you texts.

Are these ordinary SMS texts?

Why aren't you using your phone's native Messaging app for them?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for responding...

It's not my choice to receive them in the app - it is the only way to do it as the school is using this specific app - if you don't have the app, you don't get the messages as far as I'm aware. It had been working but suddenly stopped around the end of February. 

I assume it's a bit like the way whatsapp does it? the school have my phone number but it sends it to the MCAS app, not my phones messaging app - assume it's easier for the school and it's meant to keep all the school correspondence together but now I'm having issues it's not so great.

The school has the right number as they can call me from the office but the system that sends the messages seems to be being blocked somehow at my end 😞

Ah, yes, it's for security & privacy. The school & its parents become a closed shop under MCAS.

About the time this started happening did you take out a new contract, upgrade, port your no. or otherwise change your phone?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @XRaySpeX 

No, that's why I can't work out what's happened.  The only things that really changed is that the school wen't back into the classroom after the lockdown, they discontinued using standard texts and the old Eduspot app (I deleted the app long before the new app stopped working)

Other than that I can only think it's something to do with some preference I have on the phone or my account?

I know i was having issues sending standard text messages to my dads phone (a basic LG phone), it kept failing and I think it was to do with the optional wifi messaging thing, I turned that off and I was then able to send the messages to him without it failing but I don't know if that was around the same time or before or after the issue with the school app - he got his phone at Christmas so it might have been around the same time could this be it?

I wouldn't know how to turn it on again, it kind of prompted me last time as an optional extra thing I could use but that's when I found that the messages to my dad's new phone wouldn't go through (assume because his phone doesn't recognise that kind of message?)

I have got a new phone now in the last week and it still doesn't get the messages on this one. Phone number / sim card / carrier haven't changed.

Also, I can send messages to the school through the app and they receive them, I just aren't receiving any 😞

This is really a data issue rather than texts. Just on the off-chance it could be your Content Lock . It seems to affect social sites. If just switching it OFF doesn't help, try switching it to STRICT, reboot your device and then switching it to OFF. 

The content lock was already open to receive anything but I did as you suggested regardless and then asked the school to send another test message but it's still not coming through 😞

Any other suggestions? I've also contacted the developer to see if they can think of anything but TBH I'm pretty sure its specific to my phone number / EE account rather than an issue with app compatibility as it's worked previously and this is the second phone it's not working on and I seem to be the only one it's not working for - the school are baffled but that doesn't surprise me but without the app I'm not going to be able to receive the communication 😞

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @NJAMM,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

You've done the right thing in contacting the app developer. As the messages are sent to you via the app, rather than SMS, the issue isn't related to your phone number.

Please keep us updated.

James

From what I'm reading, the messages being sent to you are entirely in-app and they're not using the EE network beyond that being your phone's internet connection.

Your phone number appears to only be being used as an indentifier in a similar way to a username or email address, rather than being used by EE to route these messages.,

If all this holds, then it is the app developers and/or school admin who need to rectify this. My next question, if I were in your position, would be asking them to run some tracing on in-app messages sent to you. I'd be quite surprised if they don't have this ability.