cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE WiFi Calling over 4GEE - calls dropping and poor audio

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I'm a Mobile Broadband customer, so my internet uses a SIM card. Do I need to do anything else to get WiFi Calling working on my phone?

I find that when I'm connected to my WiFi at home, the quality of sound is poor and the call drops frequently, even if I have 5 bars of WiFi signal and 50Mbps broadband.

If I use WiFi at a cafe or other public place, WiFi calling works perfectly. Just not at home.  Done lots of resets etc., all the usual things, but no improvement.

15 REPLIES 15
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MmmToast  are you using an external antenna for your router ?  If not, your router connection is going to be exactly the same as your mobile phone connection it’s a cellular connection.  You’re gaining nothing by using WiFi calling.    Is your router next to a window?  Is it upstairs or downstairs? 
  You’ve got a cellular router and a cellular phone that both connect to the network in the same way.  

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes, of course, (otherwise it wouldn't be a WiFi calling issue 😉 ). 9db directional antenna. 5 bars of signal through router.  Mobile handsets only receive 1 bar of mobile signal indoors.

I should add that this has been working perfectly as a broadband connection for over 6 years. WiFi calling also used to work perfectly on same handsets, but developed problems a few months ago. Possibly related to android 13 upgrade.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MmmToast,

Do your phones indicate they're connected to WiFi Calling during calls or are they hanging on to the mobile signal?

James

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What has WiFi Calling on a phone got to do with mobile BB?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Well, that's what I'm trying to find out.  

In simplistic terms, instead of using my sim card, I'm connecting via wifi to a router that has its own sim card.  If there is anything re WiFi calling that's handled at a SIM / account level, that might be a thing worth exploring. 

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@James_B  Yes, the phone is showing the wifi calling icon

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MmmToast 

If you get in touch with our technical support team, they can check everything is set up for you at our end for WiFi Calling and see if they can offer any further help 🙂

Leanne.

@MmmToast wrote:

In simplistic terms, instead of using my sim card, I'm connecting via wifi to a router that has its own sim card.

WiFi-calling refers to your phone making & receiving calls & text messages, using its own inbuilt SIM, over a wireless broadband connection rather than the mobile network.

Oh, yes, of course! It's WiFi Calling on your phone via your mobile router.

The BB you find in cafes, etc are usually stronger & more reliable then what you get from a mobile router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)