cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call barring abroad

CTID1882
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Due to go abroad shortly and I'm sure there won't be an EE signal available but I don't want to be charged for any incoming calls. If I turn my Voicemail off before boarding my flight, will this stop any charges as long as I don't answer the calls ? I won't be ringing out either but will be using WiFi to connect to the outside World.

5 REPLIES 5
_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hi @CTID1882 

You don't mention where you're going but you have pretty much got things right in your mind. 

1. Ensure data roaming is switched off so your phone doesn't hook up to data when it picks up the foreign network (although I believe EE insist you buy an add on rather than allowing you to run up a bill)

2. Deactivate voicemail (either by typing ##002# into your phone and dialling as a phone number or by texting VM OFF to 150). This way, you'll not be charged for any incoming calls that route their way back to the UK and to your voicemail box. It'll just ring out until the caller hangs up.

Happy travels 👍

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@CTID1882   when did you take out this contract?  If it was before the 7th of July 2021 you’ll not be your roaming in the EU.  Where are you going ?    If you don’t care about using the device except for on Wi-Fi just put the device in to airplane mode and then switch Wi-Fi back on. 

CTID1882
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thank you @Chris_B @_MrR_ 

Both great ideas, we're off to the Maldives so there won't be any form of mobile signal on the island I'd have thought but want to belt & brace just in case.

CTID1882
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's a new contract @Chris_B as upgraded to the Samsung S22 plus

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @CTID1882 

Remove your SIM. 

Make sure you use a VPN on WiFi. Never trust unfamiliar WiFi networks regardless of your location. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.