cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a device to a sim only contract?

d1tzl
Explorer

I have a sim only contract but my phone is broken. I want to take out a plan for a device on the same plan, is this possible? If i go to just set up a device plan it automatically includes airtime, but then i will be paying for 2 sets of airtime

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

A SIM-only contract, by its nature, does not include a phone.

You have two choices here: 1: Depending how long you've had your SIM-only and what you had previously, you can upgrade to a phone-based plan - this will then replace your SIM-only.

2: Purchase a new phone SIM-free from a retailer of your choice.

Hi,

I cant upgrade, it just says i cannot upgrade. Seems strange that I cant convert it to a device plan. After all i would be giving them more money!

bristolian
Legend
Legend

How long have you had your SIM-only for, and what did you have previously?

The eligibility rules are based around these two points - new SIM-only customers have a 6month lockout before being eligible. Existing customers moving from device-based plan to SIM-only plan can revert at any time.

If you don't fit the criteria, you will need to either take a second plan, or purchase a new phone SIM-free outright.

My device contract ran out with O2 in january, and I took out a sim only on EE. Now the phone is broken! Looks like i'll have to go to samsung direct and use their finance options, it would be completely pointless to take a second plan out. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

EE do sell SIM-Free phones, i.e. w/out the airtime element - see View all SIM free phones

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)