cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to make/receive calls since 2006! - should I just give up?

Shmev
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Should I just give up with EE / being able to make a call from home?

I've lived in my home since 2006, which is a small 3 bed semi - the phone and internet signal outside of the home is very poor/ almost non existent. Postcode is LE9 2DJ - which is a large village about 5 miles from Leicester city centre.

I believe I have tried virtually everything over the years and recently.

The phone signal breaks up/ missed calls/ sounds like a dalek.

We have EE fibre broadband (we are only 200meters from telephone exchange). We have three mobile phones in the house - 1. my work phone - Samsung A32 5G, 2. My partner and my phone - Samsung S20Plus 5G. All of them are on EE network.

This is a list of just some of the things we've tried:

Made sure all phones are upto date, replaced sim cards for new.

Moved EE router several times to various locations

Replaced EE router to the new Smart EE router, AND installed three of the booster disks.

We've had the line to the house tested several times - no issues found.

We've tried resetting all routers and phones.

We've changed many settings on all phones with the advise from EE technical.

We've been put through to endless amounts of 'EE technical' staff with no resolve (we generally get passed from "its a broadband issue - its a mobile phone issue")

Just as an example - I have just received a call on my work phone - they could not hear me as they said my voice kept breaking up. So they called again from another phone, but still had same issue, and then they called again from yet another phone and still had same issue. I tried walking around the house but it did not improve - I was literally stood 4ft away from the router and still could not hear.

Note: there seems to be no issues with my internet, only ever phone calls.

Please can someone resolve???

33 REPLIES 33
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Shmev   What has your router got to do with the mobile phones ?  Your phones don’t get a working signal from it unless your have enabled Wi-Fi calling on the devices .      Your devices connect to a cellular mast not the router unless you enable Wi-Fi calling on the device then it’ll use the Wi-Fi signal from the router to give you a working signal for calls/texts.   This has only been possible to do in the last few years as Wi-Fi calling wasn’t a thing.  

Shmev
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I forgot to add that all my phones have Wi-Fi calling enabled on them - and to use Wi-Fi calling as for making calls. If I didn't have Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling enabled then I would have zero mobile call coverage. There is no phone signal in or around my home - even though the EE chart says there is.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Shmev

Thanks for coming to the community. 

If you call our tech gurus on 150 or 0800 079 8586, they will be able to get this looked into in more detail for you and discuss your options. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Shmev
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hello Leanne

Thank you, but already done that dozens of times.

The latest time they advised I replaced my standard EE router with the smart router - which allows upto three booster disks around the home to improve signal........ I have all three disks connected around the home yet still I've had several calls today all of which either sound like a dalek or cannot hear properly etc.

I've also contacted the 150 EE number and get a recorded message that they'll check the line yet again and let me know - still not had any response ?

Leanne_T

Thanks @Shmev

Does this only happen when you are connected to the WiFi? 

Do the phones work OK in other areas? 

Leanne.

Shmev
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes only happens when connected to Wi-Fi at home.

If we don't use Wi-Fi calling then get no signal at all.

All the phones work perfectly ok away from the property.

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Do you have similar problems when using WiFi-calling elsewhere?

Shmev
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

No, we've tried all the phones elsewhere on Wi-Fi calling with no issues.

Leanne_T

Thanks @Shmev

In this case, please call us again on 0800 079 8586 and select broadband, the team will run some troubleshooting and help you further. 

Leanne.