cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5gee router which antenna

simonharryharri
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone point me in the direction of the best Antenna for the 5gee router I got delivered today, EE tell me they don't sell one to go with it?!

176 REPLIES 176
MeduTLe
Explorer

Hello, 

I'm replying to this thread with a similar problem with my 5GEE Router where the signal is very bad (Around 2-3 bars of signal MAX), I need an antenna recommendation, I've been reading the thread but there are a lot of antennas mentioned and I don't know which one to go for. Please give me some budget antenna. (I could do £100 max on the antenna can go up a bit). My internet speed is literally 1.9 Mbps so your help is greatly appreciated  image.png

IMG_3431.jpgIMG_3432.jpg

Hi – Firstly if you are in a weakish signal area the Router will need an external aerial which connect to the 4 coaxial terminations under the plastic cover on the back of the router.

I am not sure there is a cheap solution to your problem.. The external antenna supplied by EE (TSG), according to the manufacturer, is not fit for purpose as the Smart 2 5GEE Hub requires 4 independent antenna inputs.

The one I went for was the Panorama DWMM4-6-60 Omni-Directional 4×4 MiMo 4G/5G Antenna 7dBi Peak Gain – about £170

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product/dwmm4-6-60-5sp/

Get it up on the side of the house on a pole as high as possible and pint it towards your nearest EE 5G mast (EE should be able to tell you where this is)

I went from 2 to 3 bars to 5 which meant increasing my speed from 50Mbps up to 750 !!!

I hope this helps

Hey,

Thank you so much for the help, would it be possible for you to make a list of suggestions for antennas? I only have 6 months contract left for the router so investing £170 would be too much. I live on the 9th floor so it's pretty high up already just unfortunate that for some reason the signal is so bad in my flat. 

Again, I really appreciate your help.

Hi There,

From what you say, you on the 6th floor flat in a city with 5G .  Is the router on the window sill facing the 5G mast?  Move it there if not.  Also, if the reception of 5G is poor, then the router modem should drop down to 4G - try changing it manually in the settings.

To find out where the mobile masts are, download the *free* version of CellMapper.  Sett it up for EE and the map should show you the area around you and where the masts are located.  You may be on the opposing side of the building, so no direct line-of-sight.  There will probably be a 4G mast further away which will give a better signal.

I have a house in a rural location and with Three for my broadband.  I recently bought a NEDIS 5G / 4G / 3G LPDA Antenna from Amazon which is now up a mast pointing to a 4G mast some 4 miles away.  I now have 5 bars and 30-50Mbps up and down.

Hope this helps a little ...

Rich

Hi. Qq. I have a 4g antenna on the roof of my house. My local mast now transmits 5g through EE. 

Could you please tell me what antenna I should buy to upgrade? I'm thinking c £100?

Many thanks. 

I have a pair of Nedis LPDA Antennas and get good 4G from a local mast -
which is not exactly line-of-sight 3 miles away. I live in 'the sticks',
with no 5G ... I have a ZTE 4G router from 3 Mobile and get about 20Mbps
down, 37Mbps up.

See here for antenna: Nedis 5G/4G/3G antenna
<>

Use the phone app CellMapper to find out the mast direction map and data.
I don't see any point in 5G at the moment and friends have dumped it to go
back to fibre broadband at more than twice the price.

Ok. Thanks for this. I did a bit of digging and here's what I've got.

I currently have a Huawei b525 4g SIM hub and I've attached the 2 aerials to the back of it to a post.

Screenshot_20240413-224624_CellMapper.jpg

I have located the mast and cell I use at home.

In the house I get 30mbps on 4g but outside with my 5g phone I get 81mbpsnso worth it I think.

Also do I need an aerial that I can point to the mast (I can see the mast from my house) and how long cable can I use before I degrade the signal..

Many thanks..