cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Rollout plans and 4G upgrades

SwindonPhilly
Investigator
Investigator

Is there anyway we can find out EE plans to rollout new 5G masts and also any plans to upgrade 4G speeds in areas with limited coverage. Where I live is quite a large village and so we’re usually a year behind getting upgrades compared to the rest of Swindon. But at the moment the 4G signal always seems to be available but only really late/early hours can you get decent 4G speeds. As far as I’ve seen there’s only one phone mast which is quite far from any houses in the large village area and it’s definitely not high enough if it’s intended to cover even half the village never mind all of it. If the mast was upgraded to the fastest 4G services and higher to give better coverage I’m sure most residents would be more than happy with just that. 

2 REPLIES 2
Dan20069898
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I know all networks plan to launch 5G to all of the uk like with EE and Vodafone are turning they 3G off soon that definitely help with rollout of 5G and upgrades to 4G+ also the best way to find out about any work getting carried out is by going to the ee coverage checker

bristolian
Legend
Legend

There's not really any such thing as a 5G mast or a 4G mast - all EE's network sites carry a variety of techs from 2G>5G, with 4G & 5G services spread across different frequency bands. Some of EE's frequency bands are better suited to providing large area coverage, others are used to provide improved capacity over a smaller area - this applies to 4G & 5G.

Rollout and improvement plans are not public, and with the best of intentions, can often change. It's common for 4G & 5G frequency additions to be installed at the same time.

Increasing the height of network sites often has implications for local authority planning consents.