cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Mobile Data poor performance 3G fine until switch off

andydaws
Investigator
Investigator

Having slow problems when in TA23 0TJ  used to use 3G which has been fine but switch off now, the 4G problem has gone back years and reported I also had multiple different devices all the same with slow speeds mostly maximum signal one also capable of using an external aerial which I tried no difference. Of course 3G no problem and probably a different Mast

Contacted EE who said initially said no issues Website says no issue and still shows no issue which if going on signal I guess correct as far as they check. I kept saying I think it is not the signal that is the problem but some upstream infrastructure I basically just got verbal shrugged shoulders.

I eventually managed to get through to a different Engineer who said there was issues in the area what he did not say was what they were but would be working on. I got 1 month free but that was it!

It never did years later still the same but in the interim I have been using 3G instead that has been working perfectly and here we arrive at the problem 3G has now been switched off so now we have problems again with no wired internet availability

Status page of course says no problem and signal still strong

8 REPLIES 8
andydaws
Investigator
Investigator

Just picking up on this old thread I had slow problems when in TA23 0TJ  going back years ago I also had multiple different devices all the same with slow speeds mostly maximum signal one also capable of using an external aerial which I tried no difference

Contacted EE who said initially said no issues Website says no issue and still shows no issue which if going on signal I guess correct. I kept saying I think it is not the signal that is the problem but some upstream infrastructure I basically just got verbal shrugged shoulders.

I eventually managed to get through to a different Engineer who said there was issues in the area what he did not say but did say they were or would be working on. I got 1 month free but that was it!

It never did years later still the same but in the interim I have been using 3G instead that has been working perfectly and here we arrive at the problem 3G has now been switched off so now we have problems again with no wired internet availability

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I would take the "issues in the area" comment very lightly.

There's one serving site in the Watchet area, with a single 20Mhz Band-3 carrier. Do your speeds vary on time/day, it could be traffic loading if so.

I get your comment over contention but even with virtually no people around during non-tourist times and not during peak does not really vary. It used to be really good EE performed the best as I went through all the providers at the time think Vodafone was the next best at the time (They are planning a new mast in Doniford Bay near to Watchet sometime)

Not sure which Cell Id picking up opensignal did not seem to be clear needs more looking at

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Open Signal isn't the best way of identifying eNB ID or EARFCN.

What were you referring to by "upstream infrastucture"?

andydaws
Investigator
Investigator

Cell ID is CI 4961540 where ever that is

Using Band 
EARFCN 1815 [ 1866.5 MHz ]

Each mast will eventually have to connect to routers (Which could even be shared using VRF's MPLS etc) which will then likely connect to a local point of presence(s) (But unlikely to be at POP as lot more people would be having problems including Broadband). I know nothing of the equipment at the actual mast end though

I can see that at least the first hop beyond me is a private address so belonging to EE the next are blocked, but jump in ping nothing that great maybe 20ms so not to bad, total guess possibly incorrect QOS instead somewhere or very dire bandwidth

bristolian
Legend
Legend

An issue on EE's core network, by nature, would unlikely cause these symptoms without a large geographical area being similarly affected.

The cell-ID you've quoted is for a site just outside Minehead, so I'm assuming your local geography is also a factor here.

andydaws
Investigator
Investigator

Yes that was what I indicated it would be a bigger issue with a  lot of people get noticed but I would think small routers would connect to the core, the location fits have a good signal to it.