3G shutdown

Cymraeg24
Investigator
Investigator

I did not get any notification about 3G shutting down. I have been happily sending texts but today discovered I can no longer call out or receive calls. I texted "handset" to 150 and was told that my handset does support 4G - but it's been working on 3G ever since I had it and I have no idea how - or if - I can change it. I've looked at various suggestions online but I can't seem to find the options they suggest. I need to know if my phone is compatible with 4G or if I have to get a new phone. I have a 5G compatible sim card from when I took out a new contract a couple of years ago. 

Any help would be great.

19 REPLIES 19
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Your calls & texts will go quite happily over 2G. It's only data that would need 4G or above.

What handset have you?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Non-4G phones have always used 2G as a fallback anytime 3G isn't available. All that's changed now is that 3G has been removed nationally (since end-January) and your phone will use 2G permanently.

For calls & texts you may notice a degradation in voice call clarity, but otherwise it's only mobile data that would be affected. You will get increased coverage & improved call quality by using a newer 4G-VoLTE phone.

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Cymraeg24  if you’re a contract customer you wouldn’t be notified with the 3G switch off as your contract as you say is a 5G contract so therefore supports 4G, So the 3G switch off really doesn’t apply to you.     Is 4G enabled on your device?  

My calls are not working at all - either in or out - and I can't retrieve voicemails either. I don't use data - the phone isn't currently linked to the internet - although it used to be. It's a very old Blackberry  - 8520 I think. 

My phone won't do calls at all. It does texts fine. 

According to the reply from 150 regarding my handset - yes - it can do 4G. But I have no idea how to get it to do that. And I'm not entirely convinced they are right. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

There's a blast from the past! The Blackberry 8520 is a 2G-only phone, so nothing has changed to affect you. When did your problems with calls start?

What happens when you try making a call? And are you on PAYG or pay-monthly?

If my handset is 4G compatible I just need to know how to enable it. I've
tried all sorts of internet tips but so far none of it seems to work.

The first I noticed it was today - but I haven't made or received any calls since the end of March. It just says something about re-directing and then congestion when I try to call or access the voicemail I got today.