cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is mobile Internet poor

walkerx
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Not sure if in correct place or not, but wanting to know why mobile data is so slow. 

Constantly apps won't load pages (even social media apps can't be used properly) , can't browse Internet properly, can't use vpn when needed (even in emergency for work as temporary work around for no normal Internet) 

Is it because I'm on a sim-only contact? I'm paying over £40 a month (have watch as well) and would expect to be able to use mobile data when needed especially as I don't use a lot as it is. 

I've rebooted phone (S23U), stopped and restarted mobile data but get same. This doesn't matter if on 4G or 5G connection, I get the same problem. 

6 REPLIES 6
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Are these issues specific to particular locations or are they more generalised? That's the ultimate test of whether this is more likely to be network or device-related

walkerx
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Doesn't matter where I am, the Internet is always poor over mobile data. 

At moment download is max @15Mbps (but sporadic) and upload is @0.27 so can't do much. Pages just timeout, apps fail to do anything. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Those speeds should not directly be causing the errors you report - webpages should still load, albeit slowly, on speeds well below 15Mbps

walkerx
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Latency is over 160 for down, 6000 for up, 15Mbps is top for download but 90% off time it well below that, along with 0.27 upload speeds you can't do anything. Constant DNS issues also affects the connection

walkerx
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Screenshot_20240502_162129_Speedtest.jpg

this is recent Speedtest result. Why is the upload so poor on 5g connection, this just causes everything to fail and thus reason why I can't use EE for tethering when needed.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

You've not mentioned the specifics of your DNS issues, but that certainly sounds like a fault to me - which should be investigated further.

However, if you're having these issues on a general basis and it's not location-specific, I'd be minded towards a device issue in the first instance. What investigations have been done, to prove your phone to not being the source of the problems?