cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Data for internet

af300506
Contributor
Contributor

Can I stop my son using his data to access the internet for certain times?  He has an iphone XR

5 REPLIES 5
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

HI @af300506 

Thanks for coming here. 

You can turn mobile data on and off within your My EE app. If you select Settings and then Use Mobile Data. You can't set specific times on when he can access data on his phone. 

Thanks.

Leanne.

@af300506   While the method to turn off cellular data via the my EE app does work it does state it can take up to 24 hours to turn off/on again.  I’ve done this before and it has only taken a few minutes to turn off/on again but that doesn’t mean it’ll always take a few minutes. 

Jank0x
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

As Leanne and Chris mentioned, you can turn off data usage for your son as this would work. The other option would be to disable the usage of the iPhone entirely (except for emergency calls) at a certain time of the day.

Please refer to the Apple forum on this or contact EE for details on this, we aren't customer services and are mainly consumers.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Disabling mobile data will also not eliminate the use of WiFi-based connections.

To fully control the use of a smartphone without parental controls being baked into the OS (which some Android devices offer) is difficult.

Jank0x
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Yeah there is that. There are a lot of EE WIFI hotspots nowadays and public Wi-Fi available on transport and other buildings (use a VPN for open Wi-Fi).

As for parental controls as bristolian mentioned, it varies on your device. Best option to ask the child to hand the device to you at the end of the day until you can figure something out.