Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Advice for Affordable Mobile Data Roaming Options in the EU

chujovi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community in search of some advice regarding mobile data roaming options within the EU. I frequently travel outside the UK and need a reliable and cost-effective solution for internet access.

Up until now, I've been using a pay-as-you-go plan, which has worked perfectly for my needs. However, with the costs of daily or weekly plans seeming quite high, I'm exploring other alternatives that could potentially offer better value.

I'm open to monthly payment options if they prove to be more economical in the long run. I primarily need the plan for mobile data roaming, so any suggestions focusing on this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

Could anyone recommend a service or plan that they've had a good experience with? Or perhaps share some tips on how to navigate this situation more effectively?

Thank you in advance for your time and insights.

Best regards
Pawel

15 REPLIES 15
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @chujovi 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

You can find information and add-on options in our Changes to EU Roaming Help page for pay monthly customers. This shows what is available and how much this will cost if you wish to move to pay monthly. 

You can use up to 50GB of your inclusive data allowance when roaming with a pay monthly account, if you have the Roam Abroad Pass or pay the daily roaming charge. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne 🙂

Hi @Leanne,

Thank you for your response. However, I must say that the information on the page you've directed me to is quite convoluted and doesn't provide a clear solution to my situation.

The monthly plans + the Roam Abroad Pass, which costs 15 GBP per month, seem to be excessively expensive compared to the Pay As You Go plan I've been using for the past three years.

Given these circumstances, I'm seriously considering switching to a competitor's service, which appears to be significantly cheaper - almost five times less expensive, to be precise.

Thank you.

@chujovi wrote:

compared to the Pay As You Go plan I've been using for the past three years.

The PAYG roaming plans you've been using for the last 3 years are no longer since 6 June. They now generally work out dearer than the £15 pm Roam Abroad Pass for contracts. 

Now see the Pay As You Go charges for roaming in the EU Help page. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
chujovi
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently trying to navigate the process of purchasing the 500MB data add-on for £3 as stated in the standard roaming costs.

The exact wording on the page is: "If you choose not to opt in to these charges or if you don’t have an active Subscription Pack, you'll be charged the standard roaming costs: 70p a minute and 30p a text and you’ll need to buy a data add-on (500MB for £3)."

However, I'm finding it quite challenging to figure out how to actually go about purchasing this data add-on.

Could anyone who has successfully navigated this process before guide me through it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

All this information provided on the website, any contact attempt is nightmare. Really glad I didn't need to contact you for three years and happy it will end soon.

You should be offered it upon arrival.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Unfortunately I am not and I cannot find it anywhere. Looks like PAYG customers are unable to use roaming at all.

Try reconnecting to the local network operator.

chujovi
Contributor
Contributor

this is how it looks. I have active 6GB data that lasts for 27 days more and no 3GBP 500MB to buy anywhere

first sms:

Welcome to Poland. There is now a charge to access to your pack allowances, Free Boost or add-on while you're here.

It will cost £2.50 for 24 hours access or you can choose to pay £10.00 for 7 days access.

For 24 hours access text ROAMEU1D to 150 or for 7 days text use ROAMEU7D

If you don't have an active pack, or choose not to pay the daily/weekly charges, you'll be charged 70p/min, 30p per text and need a EU data add on add-on.ee.co.uk

To find out more about roaming in the EU click here https://ee.co.uk/help/paygeuroaming

Calls to countries outside of the EU cost£1.20/min and texts 50p each.

For Customer Services call +447953966250. In case of Emergency, dial 112. Enjoy your trip!

answer for ROAMEU7D:

I'm sorry but you are not eligible for this add on.

06bb35a7-2842-42e3-b64b-d7e05222d102.jpg

f42e87f2-30e0-427f-a042-fe25beb38e87.jpg

Ah, there's the way! Have you been to http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase ?