cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery excessive data usage

Martin122
Investigator
Investigator

Same problem as  a lot of people seem to have - two days into the month I'm informed that 80% of my data usage has been used up, when I have barely used my phone, and it is on wifi for 80% of the time - certainly overnight. Has happened for several months, I've just got time to deal with it now.

I've just spoken to a nice woman on 150, who informed me that 70% of my data usage is unknown, which she said means that it has been used on downloads.

I have a 5GB limit - that means 3.5GB of downloads.

No apps on my phone would use that much to update themselves, and any downloads of that size would be obvious.

I think it is clearly a mistake on ee's part. The nice woman gave me a load more data, so I'll see if that works for the rest of the month.

If it happens again, I'll just have to move to another provider. I can't give ee money for a contract providing an amount of data that they seemingly can't provide, and won't admit that there's a problem with.

7 REPLIES 7
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Martin122 

Welcome to the community.

Have you reset the data counters in your phone? That way, you may be able to check in this interim period what the data is being used on through the device.

Chris

Hi Martin,

The same with me. A nice lady from EE rung me today and said that EE cannot give me the breakdown of 1.4GB of data they think I have used on the 10th of September.

Strange that you had the same data drain more or less on the same day...! Very weird that EE cannot give us the list of apps using the data....!!

I know for sure I havent used those 1.4GB on the 10th as I was on wi-fi almost the whole day. 

Not sure what this is causing the problem but I cannot wait to leave EE as this is the second time that this happened to me.

Lucia

Hi Lucia

This is a regular occurrence with me, too. I have never used all my data allowance, I just don't use my phone that way, till the last few months when I have had it all disappear in the first few days. I wish there were real regulators in industry these days, to hold companies to account, rather than hoping that they will be upfront about issues they're having. Of course they don't want to admit there's a problem and then have to take responsibility for making the problems they cause for people good.

I'd rather have problems sorted quickly and across the board than the culture of compensation for whoever shouts loudly at them about it.

I had this problem.I was told I'd used 19.9GB in 7 days.The online chat support also said I had and that a lot of usage was from 2apps that I don't even have!!!! What was she looking at??? Next day I phoned Technical Support on 150 who checked out and said I'd used 10MB....what a difference. She gave me loads of data to cover it and refreshed my account.  The lady I spoke to told me she was dealing with lots of customers having this problem.The problem lies with EE and we can't let them get away with it.Yes it's great to get it sorted but it shouldn't be happening in the first place as it causes so much stress. 

EE you must know the cause.Getbit sorted once and for all.

That's no good when the support person on online chat names 2of the main apps using the data and when you tell her you don't have those 2apps on your phone and all you get in reply is 'well that's what it's showing '. Then when you speak to technical support they don't see those apps and see only a tiny bit of data usage. How is it possible for them to claim something impossible? How much more misinformation are we being given?

Uglybag
Visitor

I recently moved to EE from Sky mobile.  I have an identical plan with only 2 gig of data per month because I spend most of my time connected to home internet.  With Sky I built up a massive piggybank of unused data rolled forward and only dipped into it twice in several years of being a customer.  I was persuaded to move to EE when I moved my landline to BT and I was promised a better service due to EE having better coverage.  I have not changed my habits one iota yet every month I am being warned I have used all or 80% of my data allocation and am invited to buy more.  Frankly this smacks of a scam and I am looking at going back to Sky.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Uglybag

Thanks for coming here.

I am sorry to hear this is happening. 

I would recommend speaking with our technical care team who can take a look into your data usage. 

Katie