cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing Data on roaming switch over

TrinnyD
Investigator
Investigator

Has anybody else experienced this? My one daughter travels a lot so intermittently using data roaming. The problem is when we switch data roaming on to her account, all her existing data on her phone disappears. I then frantically have to gift her more (4 of us share 160gb) . Now in the past EE have eventually seen this has happened but this last time the operator I spoke to really didn’t understand (despite telling me she’d worked for EE for x amount of donkey years). Does this ever happen to anybody else because according to EE (well some assistants) I am unique. 😂

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TrinnyD 

It's possible that your daughter's phone is downloading updates in the background when it connects to the mobile data network. Is your daughter using WiFi where available?

Chris

Thanks for your reply. We use a lot of 4G at home as well as data. It’s just weird because it’s like the roaming is switched on (the monthly one that you pay approx £15 for) and it wipes her existing data, I then give her more and she carry’s on with normal data use. EE have admitted to seeing the problem in the past (and given us the data back) but each time it happens and I call them, we go through the lengthy rigmarole of head scratching again and this last time the advisor clearly didn’t see any issues. The summary of our 4 numbers usage does not add up to 160gb which is our monthly allowance (another strange thing).

Sent from my iPhone
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

OK, thanks for explaining some more, @TrinnyD 

I'm not aware of a problem that causes this. I can only suggest speaking with our technical support team so they can look into it again.

Chris

@TrinnyD wrote:
Thanks for your reply. We use a lot of 4G at home as well as data.

Mobile data uses any existing mobile connection, whether that's 2G, 3G, 4G or 5G. I assume you mean that you use WiFi at home?

@TrinnyD wrote:
It’s just weird because it’s like the roaming is switched on (the monthly one that you pay approx £15 for) and it wipes her existing data

How is your daughter monitoring the data usage? Is it via the app, website or the 150 text service?

The £15 roaming option you're referring to is most likely the "Roam Abroad" pass.

Sorry I should have typed, we use a lot of 4G at home and also home Wi-Fi. Yes I purchase the roam abroad thing for her each time she goes abroad (as I said I think it’s about £11-15 per month).  We all share the same account, the girls have their own numbers and and I gift them data at the start of the month to a total of 160gb.
hope this makes it clearer.  

Thanks. It’s just such a lengthy process and I wouldn’t mind if there were notes left on the account (as they say they’re doing) but then the next time she needs to go abroad and we switch roaming abroad on, data disappears and the annoying problem starts again and so I ring up but every time I’m treated like it’s some sort of one off (despite previous customer assistants admitting they can see what’s happened).