cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

awtomatom
Explorer

Every month for the last 4 or 5 months getting data usage warning when not been using phone. Having to change settings to turn off mobile data when not connected to home WiFi, rendering phone useless at times. Warning blames certain apps that can be shown to use minimal data. Network connection seems to be the problem chewing through allowance, but I have to stop using phone data as a result.

4 REPLIES 4
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @awtomatom

Welcome to the community. 

Since the start of this issue have you spoke with our technical care team?

The team may be able to see what your data is being used on. 

Katie

I contacted the technical team the first time it happened. They spent some time looking into app usage etc. Said it was probably autoplay on YouTube. I disabled autoplay, and have made sure to close apps after use. Still, if I'm not connected to WiFi and my phone is idle while I'm at work, I have days where between 1 and 2 GB can be used up by no use. I have data saving on and as much as I can to reduce any usage, but still getting problems.

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming @awtomatom

I would recommend getting back in touch with the team and advising them of the steps you have followed to try resolve this. 

This will then allow them to look at other possibilities and complete a diagnostics. 

Katie

Ilovezaragoza
Visitor

Not sure of it's any help, or to people in the future, but I recently joined EE and the same happened to me for the first few months of my contract, unexplained burning through data. After apparently using 1.5GB in a day while at home and connected to WiFi, I used the live chat and the person said my record was showing I was connected to YouTube app streaming videos constantly for 8 hours! This was absolutely not true and my phone showed the YouTube app hadn't been active for days. The EE guy was insistent I'd been on YouTube. He agreed to put the data back and I disabled the YouTube app, the problem hasn't happened since. Obviously a bug somewhere that makes EE charge for data that isn't happening (I might have thought it possible had I been out all day, as I know some apps do use background data, but I was at home on WiFi so no way those charges should apply even if I had been on YouTube for 8hrs!)