cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Issues with Possible Solution????

Davmacrat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, new to the EE Community and hoping some of you clever cookies can bring your experience to bear.

I entered in to contract with EE for 4G WiFi in March of last year.  Explained to the nice lass at EE that I was looking for a solution that would support my works VPN and some gaming.  Terrestrial providers could only offer 3Mbs^-1, which wasn't going to cut it with 4 of us working from home in our new intergenerational living situation due to CVOVID. No problems I was told and duly signed up for EE's Mobile WiFi solution using their Huawei CPE Pro H112-372.

I have had no problems, but others in the family have; where the VPN grinds to a halt when using Teams.  With my background in datacomms (30 years ago X25 FFR etc.) suspected that we may not have the signal density to support the throughput demands, and after speaking to EE Aerials Team invested further on an external antenna. The signal was now banging through. But no better with regards to the issue.

Then spoke to EE Technical department today, only to be told that EE Mobile WiFi does not support VPN or Gaming! WOW! Really! Why was this not made clear at the time of sale, especially when I explained my requirements?  Stunned silence. We had an extended conversation regarding why VPN was not supported, and it turns out it was due to EE's use of Dynamic IP addressing within the ISP network however, I felt that I was not being told something; so back to the drawing board.

So here we come to the crux

I then attempted to go into the CPE admin page, only to find that all the advanced settings were locked down due to the implementation of CLAT Mode..... Back to Mr Google!  Right, this is where I need some help in verifying my findings and interpretation and a possible solution: I've dragged on enough so bullet points for clarity. Am I correct in saying:

• CLAT mode is implemented when a Customer Side Network Address Translator is employed by the UE.
  • In the case of EE this is caused by EE's IPv4 -> IPv6 transitional arrangements.
  • EE has implemented IPv6 only with 464XLAT and a central CG-NAT64 to embed Native and DNS IPV4 addresses into an IPv6 HEX format.
  • Consequently, I can do nothing with the router. 

So at the risk of throwing good money after bad, what I'm looking at is a pre-established Peer to Peer VPN tunnel using a second VPN router outside the EE deliverable, (Something like VPN Express), where the VPN router is set up on a separate subnet.  We then should be able to run our corporate VPN connections on the proprietary VPN outside the EE network.  The only thing I need from EE's CPE Pro is to "Pass Thru" the Proprietory VPN.  Not sure if the CPE Pro will do this automatically or am I going to be stumped again by the CLAT shutting down the advanced settings.

If any of you clever cookies can come up with any alternate solutions, I'm all ears. All comments will be gratefully received.  My only other option is to go elsewhere, and although I'm slightly bent out of shape for not being told about this issue before I handed over my hard-earned pennies, I really don't want to go anywhere else since the QoS is good, as is the Customer Services, and that is hard to find these days.

Thanks all in advance.

Kindest Regards

Dave.

19 REPLIES 19
Rob_K
Investigator
Investigator

I had a similar problem, in that my VPN stopped working a few days ago. Not being a network person, it took a while to get my head around what was going on.

I called EE technical support and was told that EE does NOT support VPNs, and the fact that it used to work was lucky. Bottom line, they couldn't/wouldn't help.

Thanks to this discussion I found a solution in changing the router setting from IPV4V6 to IPV4. Time will tell whether this is a permanent fix.

It would have been nice if I'd been informed about the VPN problem before I started the contract, and even better if the technical people at EE knew about this solution.

@James_B wrote:

You shouldn't have any issues using Teams or a VPN service over EE mobile data.

You do if the VPN is PPTP

Rob_K
Investigator
Investigator

I am using NordVPN which uses the OpenVPN protocol.

Please can you assist?  How do I change this setting?

I have used my dongle to connect via VPn for years - now tonight it refuses and I cannot access my office.

Legacy0
Contributor
Contributor

what VPN type is it?

Rob_K
Investigator
Investigator

I changed the setting by logging into my EE provided, WIFI router.

JDL2
Explorer

Mine is a mini 4g wifi - have no idea how to access the settings!

@JDL2 : Login to your MBB router at http://192.168.1.1 with username/pwd as "admin"/"admin" or with the admin password found under the battery cover. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
hhh5555
Visitor

I have the same problem turn on norton vpn. EE connection turns off is there any answer to this its not the vpn as i have tested it elswhere it the EE mini hub.

GadgetBazza
Visitor

Had a similar problem trying to connect from my phone to home using vpn with EE on the mobile device and home connection provided elsewhere.  The connection would work fine from the phone if it was connected to someone else’s WiFi but not over 4G.

i resolved this by configuring the apn for the phone to use EE IP4 only apn which was only possible on iPhone by pushing a mobile device configuration to the iPhone.

Since recently adding NordVPN to my iPhone for regular traffic, I regularly find that the internet connection is broken presumably for the same reason and i have to disable Nord to get it working again.

not sure if other von providers have this issue with EE, but it’s a bit of a blocker for Nord for me really.