cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using new SIM in 5G router

Eliot3
Visitor

Hello,

I've had my EE 5G Router for 18 months, and my contract has just ended.

I'm still paying £50 a month on my current contract, but I can see I can get an EE 5G SIM only deal with unlimited data/speed for about £25/m.

Am I able to cancel my current (finished) 5G router contract, buy the SIM only deal and use that to save myself £25 a month whilst keeping my 5G router? Or do I need to keep my existing contract/SIM?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may cancel your current contract with 30 days notice, keep your mobile router & put any SIM in it. However I recommend that rather than cancelling you upgrade your contract to a SIM-Only contract of your choice, thereby keeping your mobile no. It'll have the same effect but would be simpler.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Your SIM is tied to your account - therefore if you cancelled and got a new subscription, you would have to change SIMs.

Better to contact CS (or use myEE online) to request a change of priceplan on your existing number. You can request this within your 45day upgrade window, and it would take effect on your minimum term end date. Your existing SIM & line would continue, just with a simple change of plan.

@bristolian : Wouldn't a change (reduction) of price plan only reduce the airtime plan but keep the device cost unchanged (assuming a traditional device contract)? Better to upgrade to SIM-Only?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Changing a price-plan is indeed called an "upgrade" when done via myEE online.

In this case, I agree the best solution would be changing from the current device-plan to the proposed SIM-only plan.