cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Router

MartinB1957
Investigator
Investigator

I have an unlocked 4GEE mobile router and have a non-EE SIM installed (SMARTY) and am currently in Ibiza! I know, lucky me! However, I just can’t get the mobile router to connect to the internet. I use a SMARTY SIM in a Huawei mobile router with no issues.my daughter has it atm, hence my dilemma!  Do I need to switch on ‘roaming’ on the 4GEE router? If so, how do I do it? I vaguely recall  having to switch on ‘roaming’ on the Huawei router. Thank you. 

10 REPLIES 10
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MartinB1957 

Thanks for coming to the community and yes I am very jealous you're in Ibiza!  🙂

Is the WiFi device unlocked to use the other network SIM card? 

If so, does the SIM connect to the internet in another device? 

Leanne.

MartinB1957
Investigator
Investigator

Is there a way that I can change the APN setting on the 4GEE mobile router (dongle). I’ve a SMARTY SIM  and need to use mob.asn.net?  TIA. 

@MartinB1957 : What mobile phones call APNs mobile routers call Profiles. Your find it there. Can't speak for Smarty APNs.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks, yes, it is unlocked. I have tried the SIM in my phone but on the advice of SMARTY, I had to change the APN setting on my phone and it then worked fine. That might be an ‘SMARTY’ thing! Unfortunately I just can’t find a way to change the APN on the EE dongle, assuming of course that it can be done? 

That’s great info. I’ve found the ‘profile’ but it’s sort of ‘white out’ and can’t be accessed, at least atm. 

You can't overwrite the current Profile. You need to create a new Profile & then make it the Default.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for this. Have tried this but as yet no success. The only compulsory requirements are the ‘‘Profile name’ and  ‘Dial number’. I assume the former is my choice and the latter is the number of the SIM? Also, though apparently not a requirement, is a choice of Protocol; PAP, CHAP or PAP & CHAP? Any further thoughts or advice gratefully received. Cheers. 

EE prefers Authentication type: PAP but can't speak for Smarty.

MartinB1957
Investigator
Investigator

Just a quick thank you to everyone that helped/gave advice. After many trials & errors managed to sort it all out………apparently I needed to switch on SIM PIN and enter the 4-digit code! SIMPLES……NOT! Now on Movistar and getting 40+MBs! Cheers everyone.