Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent signal - Mobile Broadband

will-dalley
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

For the last year I have been using an EE unlimited data mobile broadband SIM to supply the broadband at my home. It has been working great up until around a month ago, where now the signal strength comes and goes, making it extremely unreliable and unusable at most times.

Using cellmapper.net I know exactly which antenna my system links to that provides good speeds, it emits a Band 20 signal and allows me to reach speed for around 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up... (Not the fastest 4G ever but better than my ADSL alternative). However, recently my system cannot find the signal from this antenna and can only find a very very poor Band 3 signal from a mast much further away. The connection to the Band 20 antenna does occasionally come back online for a few hours/day but is then lost again. 

When I look at the network status on the EE coverage page it states that there are no known faults in my area, and when I request updates in my area I receive emails stating that there are no known issues. 

Is it likely that the Band 20 antenna is coming on and offline which is causing my signal to drop, and is there any way to verify this with any online resource, perhaps a live mast status checker? How likely is it that I am experiencing hardware issues on my end? For reference I am using a Teltonika RUT240 router paired with a Poynting 4G antenna which is outside and not subject to significant obstruction between it and the EE mast.

4 REPLIES 4
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @will-dalley 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Are you able to try the SIM in another device to see if the same happens? 

Have you reported the signal issues with our technical support team? 

Leanne 🙂

bristolian
Legend
Legend

With the exception of extremely rural sites in areas such as the Highlands & Islands, any site that has B20 also has co-located GL1800 - so B3 for 2G & 4G.

The status checker tool you've already used is EE's official "go-to" for status checks.

Hi Leanne, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I am personally away from the site at the moment and so cannot undertake such troubleshooting method. I have the ability to remote connect to my network and router to view connection details, settings, etc, but not physcially test on another device at the moment.

Hi Bristolian, you are correct… I am in the Highlands & Islands and my nearest mast only emits a Band 20 signal… A mast in a nearby village emits both Band 3 and 20, which is what my router is failovering to when it cannot detect the more nearby mast.