Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for 5GEE WiFi Hub IPv6 internet issues over ethernet [Solved]

dan-giddins
Contributor
Contributor

The Problem:
I have just bought the 5GEE WiFi Hub. On WiFi everything seemed to be working fine, but as soon as I tried to use ethernet, various little things stopped being able to connect to the internet. I could log in to a game called League of Legends, but as soon I as logged in the game client would tell me that the connection to the servers had timed out. I could make and receive audio calls on Microsoft Teams, and I could here the other person, but they couldn't hear me (the call would also seem to 'time out' and hang up after a few seconds). Bear in mind that this was ONLY happening over ethernet. Strangely, trying to connect to the Forticlient VPN caused Windows to crash (BSOD) on both Ethernet and WiFi!

The Solution:
Forcing a public IPv4 address in the hub solved this issue for me (over both WiFi and Ethernet, I was being given a public IPv6 address). To do this:

1. Log in to the hub by going to 192.168.1.1 (copy and paste into your browser bar) and click on 'Log in'.
  2. Enter the admin password and log in. This is different to your WiFi password (unless you have set them to be the same) and can be found on the hub itself.
  3. On the left hand side go to Setup -> Profile Management
  4. Click 'New' at the bottom of the page
  5. Enter the following settings:
    Name
    Value
    * Profile name:
    IPv4 Only 
    * Dial number:*99#
    * APN:everywhere
    IP Type:
    IPv4 
    Username:eesecure
    Password:secure
    Protocol:
    PAP 
  6. Click 'Save'
  7. Click 'Set as Default'. This will give you a warning that it will disconnect and reconnect the hub from the internet to do this. Click okay when all users of the hub are ready to be briefly disconnected from the hub.
  8. The internet should now reconnect, and the internet issues you where having before should no longer be present.

I don't know why forcing a public IPv4 address solved my problems. What's also strange is that over WiFi, I would get an IPv6 address but everything still seemed to work (apart from my VPN, but it is an older version of the VPN software, so I can only assume that it or windows didn't know how to deal with IPv6).

I'm also really surprised that other people haven't had this issue. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who want to connect to the hub over ethernet and do similar things to me! I would be interested to know why this fix solved my problems...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dan-giddins
Contributor
Contributor

'Solution' (or in this case a work around) is in the body of the OP.

This probably needs to be investigated by EE for a proper fix, such that we can use ethernet and also have a public IPv6 address.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@dan-giddins   So in reality the game creators need to do the updating to support iPv6.  

konstantin92
Visitor

For anyone still looking for solutions, just found this and it works for me:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4GEE-WiFi/Fix-for-5GEE-WiFi-Hub-IPv6-internet-issues-over-ethernet-Sol...

Thank you for this and the write up.
Going to try this as my kids have experienced the same thing with Roblox and FIFA

Superstu
Investigator
Investigator

Brilliant, thank you. I have voip deskphone, clearly anywhere app and a softphone on pc, plus cctv system and intruder alarm that kept de-registering and going off-line. I have read all sorts on-line but your IPv4 only fix has worked a treat.

Profile closed
Not applicable

For anyone googling, this fix works for connecting to VPNs. Had issues with Teams, Signal and Cisco VPN out of the box, but all working now on IPv4 only config.

Hi will this fix work for the 4g mini mobile wifi router too? I was on a Teams interview and it just stopped working. It said it was still connected but nothing was happening. Sorry I am not very technical. Many thanks

It's worth a try, and it shouldn't stop anything from working. In the worst case, you can just change the profile back.

dan-giddins
Contributor
Contributor

Looking back at this, I still find it so strange that forcing IPv4 fixes the ethernet connection settings, even though everything works perfectly fine on IPv6. I feel like there might be an internal software issue in the hub relating to ethernet not playing nice with a public IPv6 address, and that forcing IPv4 is just a work around to avoid this incompatibility. If I had to guess, the problem might have something to do with the fact that internal ethernet is using IPv4 and and the external IP is can be IPv6 by default, and there is maybe some kind of translation issue...? What's strange though is that WIFI is fine, and that also uses an internal IPv4 address (but maybe as a gateway)...? Someone technical inside EE probably needs to review this issue.

So in reality the game creators need to do the updating to support iPv6.

I don't actually think this is the solution anymore, as everything worked fine over WIFI, which was also giving me an IPV6 address before my fix. I think it might an internal bug in the software of the hub, possibly relating to ethernet working with a public IPV6 address.