cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE external antenna

YS12
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, can anyone tell me how much the EE external antenna is?  It looks like installation is £100, but I can't find the cost of the antenna itself. 

9 REPLIES 9
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Ive never used the Service but as far as I know its all included within the Price.

Unless you're asking the asking the question that you want to buy just the Antenna and do something yourself.

Thank you 🙂, no it is just to improve the signal, getting 4-5mb at the moment download speed.

External Antennas are not directly related to Download Speeds, the External Antennas are for improved Signal Quality and Stability in poor Coverage Areas which in turn may improve DL Quality, in fact they can sometimes have the opposite effect in reducing Download Speeds (its to do with the fact the Router is potentially 4x4 MiMo whereas the External Aerial is only 2x2 MiMo).

Before you spend money, do some easy Tests -

Check your Post Code Area on EE's Coverage Map Checker, what results are you getting in terms of 4G and or 5G. ( https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee check for both Coverage and Status)

Try placing the Router in various spots around your property, near windows and high up where possible, Reboot the Router and leave the Router in each position for at least 15mins before testing and moving to the next spot.

When checking Speed Tests, if possible, use an Ethernet Cable connection to the Router, if your using WiFi place the Testing Device around 2 meters from the Router.

Try the EE Router Sim in a Phone, and test around the same spots in the House and outside, Garden etc.

What is the Router Model Number?, most Routers will have a Status Page within the Admin Settings area, this should give you some Signal Quality Info, like - Signal RSRP, SNIR, Freq or Band Info, CELL ID or EnBID Mast number etc, post up your findings. (Do not post any personal info like Phone or IMEI Numbers)

Regards Chris. 

Thank you, that's really useful. Will try those tests first. 

Did getting an antenna work? New home and I'm getting no signal indoor the house and 0.5mgps download speed

Hi,

Sorry, we didn't get the external antenna in the end. Unless it's changed, though, it was £100 for the installation and the engineer shows you the speed you are going to get and if you're not happy you only pay a £10 call out fee. Check this first with EE in case they've changed it, but it did look like a good option. We only didn't go ahead in the end as it was a rented house, and my son wasn't going to be living there for that long.

Might be worth contacting EE - we just phoned them - to check.

Sent from Outlook for Android<>

Just to confirm (unless things have changed) the External 4G/5G Antenna Installation Service is subsidised by EE but is only available as a Add On option when you take out a New Mobile Router Contract, its not something can can be added on as a Ad Hock add on as an existing option.  

I'm confused by it all haha. I've basically moved to a new house and I'm getting no mobile network signal, and I have a 4g broadband router that has a download speed of 0.5mbps. There is work being done on the local mast 4g tower, but I dont understand any of that either, but I've been told that once that work is complete it will fix the problem. But I've had bad internet from the 4g broadband for a year already so I'm not hopeful. Do you know of any solutions to this? Will buying an external antenna from a seperate company fix this do you know?

Have you read my Post (Post No. 4 above) on this topic?