cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a new SIM card if I have use a 4G portable WiFi device?

gregsonsteel
Investigator
Investigator

I have an unlimited data plan with EE, and recently bought a 4G portable WiFi device to run my tablet from..But, though it connects and shows a strong signal (but not on the 4G portable itself) it won't connect to the internet. As the SIM is now a few years old, would I need a new compatible one,and if so how much extra per month would that cost? Many thanks for reading

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@gregsonsteel : Didn't your mobile router come with a SIM? If so, are you using that?

Where are you using your unlimited data SIM? In a phone or in the router? Is it on contract or PAYG?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hello and thank you for replying. 

The unlimited data SIM is always used in a little portable pocket router, and I'm on a contract.

The 4G one I'm having no joy at all with  has a 3 logo 

And just to be specific, the 4G  router was purchased reconditioned from Amazon and came with an O2 SIM card, but having said that it was described as unlocked in the item's description.

This, and I don't know if it's a connected problem or not, comes at a time when my internet speed on the old pocket router I'm currently using is exceptionally slow, less than 1Mbps

Thanks again 

Oh yes I forgot to add, it looks as though my contract also includes 5G!

So the 4G router has nowt to do with EE? It came from 3 but has an O2 SIM in it but you don't know if it ever worked in that configuration? I can't see how we can help with that. It's not even trying to use the EE network.

If it's unlocked as claimed, you could try your EE unlimited data SIM in it or get a PAYG SIM from EE.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)