Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect to Steam game, error message says "Cant reach any official server"

ryskwic
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

I just purchased a Mobile Broadband Hub from EE, as there is not Broadband coverage in an area where I moved recently, so I opted for Mobile Broadband. Speed is fine, downloading is fine, everything seems to be working fine. I setup my gaming station, and downloaded all the games on Steam that I needed.

Once I tried to launch a Counter Strike Global Offensive, I was not able to connect to any game, as I was constantly getting this error message "Cant reach any official server"..

I googled what could it be, I tried verifying the game files integrity, turning of Firewall, everything, and nothing seems to be working. This seems to happen only on Valve games, like said CSGO, other games seem to be working fine.

Any advice please?

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You are probably finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which games consoles often object to, which means you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it. IMHO Mobile BB is not suitable for gaming.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I was advised by my friend to get VPN, so I did, and it seems to be working fine now.

I just dont like the fact I need to pay for an additional service, just to be able to do what I always had did. I dont think I am the only one who complains about this.

I understand Mobile BB is not good for gaming, but like I mentioned, there is no broadband coverage on my postcode unfrotunately. I have put in a request with BT, but that might take some months.

I could only get like 5mbps connection speed broadband here, which is sh!t

Nigelaustin69
Visitor

I've recently bought an EE 4g broadband service, as they do not accept broadband in my area. On this connection though i have been unable to connect to any CS:GO server, even though I was assured that it was compatible for gaming. The error messages say 'Failed to connect to any Official Server'. I looked on the EE FAQ and saw the replies on how the NAT is scuffed
One of the solutions was to invest in a VPN, so I chose Express as I heard its the best on the market. I connected to a midlands server, so that my ping would not be impacted, and it STILL isn't connecting me to a server.
I've verified the integrity of my game files, Uninstalled and re-installed both steam AND cs:go, yet I STILL cant connect to the server.
Please tell me how i can fix this, or if i should get a refund for my ExpressVPN subscription, as i thought this would fix the problem, and it hasn't.😐
Nigelaustin69_1-1686262968225.png

Usman200
Visitor

Found a solution to this issue that doesn't require a VPN: switch to IPv4 instead of IPv6 fixed the issue, and can now be able to host/join lobbies. 

Personally was making use of a portable 4G WiFi/MiFi device to connect to the internet. Then had to go on 192.168.1.1 on the browser and updated/made a custom profile, setting it to IPv4, then set the profile as default.