cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE router signal getting weaker/losing it completely

Suzuya
Explorer

I've had a 5GEE router for a while now and when I first got it it was fine, messed around until I found the perfect spot for it to give me high download/upload. Currently sitting at an average of about 250mb/s which is about 20ish megabytes a second download.

After a lengthy download of a movie, game, or just a generally large file, the speed goes from it's average of 20 down to 6 and stays there for a while? The only way I've managed to "fix" this is to just stop the download for a while or wait for it to fix itself overtime. If there's anything I could do to help this i'd love to no, if not I understand it is a data based router so this issue might be unfixable.

Second issue I've been having and it only started recently would be the signal gets lost randomly, a couple of times a day. I'd be watching a stream/video/movie and the playback would just stop. I go and check the HUB to see the connection and nothing on there detects that it should be down. This issue doesn't fix itself and the only way I fix it is by restarting it. Which is inconvenient since this does happen a couple of times a day, so you can imagine having to manually restart it everytime this happens. I've let this settle overnight to see if it fixed itself in the morning but nothing seemed to fix it other than restarts.

I've reset the wifi, changed ethernet cables, changed router position, changed settings in the hub in hopes something would change but to no avail.

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Suzuya 

Welcome to the community.

It may be worth popping your postcode into our coverage checker to see if there is a known problem in the area. If there isn't a known problem, you can report one on there too so that our network team can look into it.

Chris

I've checked the coverage checker when it first started an just had a look now again to double-check. Everything seems. My entire area and more has good signal indoor and outdoors.

Leanne_T

Hi @Suzuya 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Did you select 'check status' to see if we have any reported network problems in the area? 

Leanne.

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You mentioned you have changed Ethernet Cables, so I assume you maybe using additional equipment or devices connected directly to your 5GEE Router other than using the 5GEE WiFi?, is this correct, if so how have you set this up.

When your issue happens, is it over the 5GEE Router WiFi or Devices connected via the Ethernet?

Cassil3
Investigator
Investigator

Similar issue. Been fine for 12-18 months and now for last 8 weeks significant issues with connection dropping and reducing to very low speeds.

Issue started when the switch to BT from EE was done. Assumed that should not have impacted it, however no other reason I can see.

Simple set up... 5 gee router... and multiple tests with nothing connected to the router to check speed and cconnection consistency.

Either router (2019) is now of no use or its the change to BT.

Leanne_T

Morning @Cassil3 

Thanks for coming here. 

Are you able to try the SIM card in another device/mobile phone to see if the same happens? 

Leanne.