cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Smart Hub noisy fan and poor EE customer service

scwilson
Contributor
Contributor

So I took the plunge almost 4 weeks ago and got rid of my BT landline and slow BT broadband. Purchased an 18 month contract on an unlimited 5GEE Smart Hub.

After regular drops (no internet for 2-3 mins) every hour or so in the first few days, I changed the IP profile to IPv4 only and since then it's been fine. I read about other people having this same issue.

However, 2 weeks to the day the fan inside the unit at the bottom started to grind and become very noisy instead of whisper quiet. I reported the issue and was sent a replacement the next day collecting the problem unit also. Literally, 2 weeks later (a few days ago), this new unit started to make the grinding noise with the fan again. 

I'm at a complete loss. It's well ventilated in an open space. 

After being on hold with EE for 50 minutes last night, eventually someone answered and we were talking about the problem for 10 mins. They agreed there seems to be some quality control issue with these fans. Possibly as a result of the silicon shortage, cost cutting etc. They put me on hold to check what they can do and I was then cut off.

Anyone else have this experience? The fan is probably a £3 part and easily replaceable. The bottom panel unscrews and I suspect due to the poor EE support I will end up trying to fix it myself by sourcing a replacement fan of the same spec.

Very unhappy!

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@scwilson  the unit isn’t made by EE you can get the same unit on 3 and probably on other networks and it’s just rebranded for those networks the unit it’s made by Zyxel.    There are other comments on this forum about the fan. 

Do you know if the fan can be swapped out for a better quality one that doesn't grind but is of the same spec and dimensions? It's easy to get to apparently.

Andrea_74
Visitor

I've just discovered the same problem. Was perfectly fine for the first 2 months, but now that noise won't stop! Did you manage to fix it?

BMC59
Explorer

I have placed my eye 5g router on its side with the power socket and vent holes on the top and I’ve got it on a window ledge too for a better shot at getting a stronger signal. After about six months like this it seems to work just fine and I suspect the heat can naturally vent as a result. When the fan has come on it’s much much quieter. I do reboot the router once a week just to ensure a ‘fresh’ connection.