cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Gee 2021 Home Router - Fan Noise

hostler
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the 2021 5Gee Home Router running for a couple fo months without issue - easily integrated into my pre-existing mesh setup, and now getting much better speeds up and down.

However, in the last couple of days the fan in the unit has become INCREDIBLY NOISY where once it was whisper-quiet. Restarting doesn't change anything, or adjusting its position on the shelf.

Anyone else had / having these issues? It's impossible to work with the noise it's creating.

Thanks in advance

Tom

59 REPLIES 59
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @hostler

Thanks for posting 🙂

I would suggest getting in touch with our customer care team, they will run through some trouble shooting with you and let you know what is needed 🙂

Let me know how you get on. 

Leanne. 

Thanks @Leanne_T

I already did, and there was no troubleshooting offered - only the option of dismantling my home network and taking the unit to a mobile phone repair team in an EE store "for a look"

I will do this, but obviously have to wait for a day when such disruption will be minimal.

I am amazed that a home broadband solution is not offering an at-home replacement service - it's crazy to make home broadband customers bring their routers into stores (perhaps travelling many miles) in order to "have a look".

Thanks for your reply though - hopefully mine is a one-off faulty unit

Tom

Leanne_T

Thanks for coming back to me @hostler

I hope you get this sorted. 

Leanne.

Hi @Leanne_T 

So I just spoke with my local store, and they have said they can't diagnose or test these devices - they have to be sent away to a repair centre for TWO WEEKS - even if under warranty.

As this is a home broadband solution, I find this unacceptable to be expected to live without the necessary hardware for TWO WEEKS.

Can a replacement unit be organised to be sent to my home, and I will return the faulty unit?

Hoping you can help?

Tom

Leanne_T

Hi @hostler

If we organise a repair you would need to return the device and this will be returned once this has been repaired.

If you would like to discuss your options, please give us a another call and the team will help you further. 

Leanne. 

Thanks @Leanne_T 

How can you offer this as a viable home broadband solution, if the only way to replace faulty units under warranty is to live without the unit for TWO WEEKS.

That is quite literally astonishing.

Leanne_T

Hi @hostler

I have sent you a private message for some extra details. 

Speak soon. 

Leanne. 

I am having the same issue with a really noisy 5GEE router (that has been silent for months). How do I get a replacement to my home please?

Hey NW11

Sorry to hear you're having the same issues ...

In the end, I self-diagnosed my noisy fan to be down to the fact I was running a Hard Disk off the built in USB socket to share on my network. This is a perfectly valid thing to do, but turns out it was drawing a lot of power, and the fan was labouring because of this. Unplugged the hard drive, and the noise almost disappeared.

If you have anything plugged into the USB, maybe try removing it.

Took me ages to figure this out, and EE were no help at all sadly.

Good luck

Tom