cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Smart Hub - no antenna?

Hannisw
Visitor

I recently moved into a house that has an antenna set up from a previous EE router. I got a new 5G Smart Hub hoping that I’d get a 5GEE router and be able to plug in the existing antenna. However, the new smart hub (model: HH20C) has no ports for the antenna. The only reason I went for the smart hub was to have a hassle-free setup so I really don’t want to have to invest in a 3rd party 5G router to make my setup work. Is my best option just to return the whole setup, cancel the contract, get a sim with unlimited data and go buy a different router that can work with the antenna? 
If I were to pay EE to install an antenna what would they do, swap out my hub for a different model? Or am I missing something? 
Any help would be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Couple of pointers here -

There is a good chance that your existing older Router Antenna will not be compatible with EE,s newer 5G Bands. 

EE's Antenna Installation Service will not get involved in your Router Model type or arrange or offer any different Router Models for you.

Have you checked the 5G Signal availability in your Area using EE,s Coverage Checker. 

EE do offer a Full Fat 5G Router Hub (5G Router 2021 - Zyxel 5103) this Device has External Antenna options, but this Router will require a newer 5G 4x4 Mimo Antenna, should you need an External Aerial Setup. 

Silly question I know but why did you aquire a 5G Router from EE on Contract if the Model does not facilitate an External Antenna option. 

There is nothing stopping you from Cancelling your New Contract (if this option is available) and going Sim Only with EE and suppling your Own 5G Router, but bare in mind you would need to do some Homework and compatability on your chosen Device and its worth pointing out that EE may not be able to give any support on the Device that has not been acquired through EE. Having said that there are plenty of Experienced Members on the Community that will try and help you through your journey.