cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4GEE speed steedily declining

Bella33
Contributor
Contributor

I have the 4GEE Home 18m 200GB plan which started in April 2022. Initially I was getting speeds of over 50 at times, mostly over 40, and rarely below 30. In recent months I started to notice things slowing down. I now rarely get over 20 and often it is below 10, nearer to 5. I have rebooted the 4G router and checked my wifi. With my plan ending soon I am considering options, including Starlink. I am in the Highlands and probably connect to the Foyers mast by Loch Ness. Would 4G+ be available to me here and how would I get it? Would an external antenna make any difference bearing in mind I was getting up to 60 with my current set up. What started as a fantastic service has become very disappointing!

15 REPLIES 15
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Bella33 

We'll do our best to help. Have you tried changing the location of the router to see if the signal improves? Could you also check the status of your postcode on our coverage checker please? 

Chris

Hi Christopher, thanks for responding.  The coverage checker states good coverage outdoors and varying levels of coverage indoors.  When I first got the router I was only getting 3 Mbps indoors (in a modern house with lots of foil insulation) so set it up in the loft of the attached garage where it immediately got speeds up to 60.  I have tried temporarily raising the router position to the highest point in the loft, but no difference.  The key thing is absolutely nothing has changed with my hardware set-up since initial installation.  A near neighbour experienced the same issues and went to Starlink but I would prefer to stay with EE if possible, but I really need a basic minimum of 25/30 at all times.  I understand EE's 4G+ goes up to 120?  Is this available to me?  Thanks.   

Christopher_G

OK, thanks @Bella33 

I recommend speaking with our technical support team so they can check the performance of the masts in your area and give you some advice going forward.

Chris

Bella33
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again Chris.  I've tried a few times to contact your mobile broadband technical support team but keep getting "Messaging is currently unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."  Do you know when this is likely to be fixed?  I prefer not to phone them as my wi-fi calling is compromised by the poor 4G signal and voice is often garbled.  Thanks.

Katie_B

Hi @Bella33

Are you using this page HERE to try start a conversation?

Katie

Hi Katie.  No, I was using the page specific to mobile broadband.  I have now tried the page you suggested but the "start conversation" button does not appear (I've tried this on Chrome and Edge browsers).

Katie_B

I am sorry to hear this @Bella33

If this is not working I would now recommend calling. 

I know this may be difficult with your current service but the team will be able to look into this further. 

Katie

I am disappointed that you appear to have no interest in resolving the lack of functionality in your customer communication channel.  If this does not start working again in a few days and/or my underlying mobile broadband speed issue doesn't improve, you will likely be losing my business in a couple of months.  I have also received no answers to my questions about EE's 4G+ service which could be a possible solution.  Not impressed! 

Katie_B

Hi @Bella33

I would really like to help get this resolved for you. 

Here on the community we have no account access so can't complete the relevant diagnostics. 

I am unsure as to why you are unable to access our live chat, I have just tried to access this and can see the 'Start conversation' button. 

Have you been able to try another device?

Regarding 4G+ the coverage provided by EE is 2G, 3G (which is due to be switched off in 2024), 4G and 5G.

Katie