cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag when gaming with EE. Never with BT? Why?

Sandshoes
Investigator
Investigator

Hi.

Been with EE for a couple of weeks after  20 years with BT.  I was told it was an identical service before I switched and it clearly isn't. 

So its either an EE network issue or its the EE smart hub problem, wish I'd kept the old BT one to be honest.  Anyway it cant be anything else obviously as this problem just wasn't here with BT. 

So when we are gaming previously on BT we would have a ping of 30ms and it would stay there. Period. Now its up and down like a yoyo and its that which needs correcting. No other real issues with the connection i.e. streaming etc.

Any ideas if anyone has had this known issue resolved or will I have to abort the contract and move on.

Dont mind sending the required data to assist as long as we keep on topic and look at the 2 aforementioned issues.

Thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Neil.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Just to let you know that this issue has been resolved a while ago. 

I purchased a second hand BT smart hub which I had before. Ive had absolutely no issues at all since.

The new one I was issued from EE is now back in its box in the garage colecting dust.

Me personally I dont think its a dodgy router.  I just thing the old ones are far better made.

Regards

Danny.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Neil-O
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Sandshoes I'm sorry about that, can you describe your setup in more detail? What package do you have and how is your PC/Console is connected to the Hub. What fluctuations are you now seeing with your ping that you weren't before and is this negatively impacting your gaming experience? Also, do you subscribe to the EE wifi enhancer add-on?

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil.

Thanks for the quick response. 

I have Fibre 36.

PS5 connected via WIFI. Router is upstairs, Ps5 downstairs. Same when I had BT.

My sons laptop in room next to router has same issue.

Ping is fluctuation from 30 to 120.  The best way to describe the impact is every 10 seconds the game freezes for 1-2 seconds.  Games are seriously frustrating now hence why I am here trying to resolve. If needs be I would leave EE for this reason.

I do not subscribe to the Wi-fi enhancer as I didn't have one with BT?? Issue is still present if everything else is turned off the Wi-Fi. Which is basically what the enhancer does?

If you require any further info please shout up.

Again, Thanks for your assistance.

Stuart-H
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Sandshoes 

Thanks for replying with that info.

What router did you use with BT? If you still have it can you try using it for me to let me know if the wireless persists to show lag?

Just want to see if it's possibly a faulty router and your previous BT Router should work.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

Yes I had a BT smart hub I believe.  I would have certainly tried that but I sent it back to BT for recycling.  I could kick myself for trying to save the planet . I think I might have mentioned this in the original post.

If I was to acquire another from somewhere would that just plug and play so to speak.?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Hi Neil.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Just to let you know that this issue has been resolved a while ago. 

I purchased a second hand BT smart hub which I had before. Ive had absolutely no issues at all since.

The new one I was issued from EE is now back in its box in the garage colecting dust.

Me personally I dont think its a dodgy router.  I just thing the old ones are far better made.

Regards

Danny.